Topic: Digiface USB + TotalMix FX: Input Channel EQ's

First time poster, and potential near-future RME Digiface USB purchaser here.

I've been reading through the manual, forums, and web searches in search of an answer to the following question:

I understand that the reverb and delays would not appear in TotalMix while using the DigiFace USB as it has no DSP, but are EQ's in TotalMixFX available on the Digiface USB, or do they a RME interface with internal DSP?

*Fingers crossed the EQ's are software implemented in TotalMixFX on the HW inputs *

Thank you in advance,
Dave

2 (edited by ramses 2020-09-01 17:15:17)

Re: Digiface USB + TotalMix FX: Input Channel EQ's

Hi Dave,

no sorry, for this you need a recording interface with FX chip integrated (either full or partial).
Partial implementation means the computation for that effects happens on PC in the RME driver.

Partial implemenation: Babyface Pro FS, MADIface Pro (reverbs+dynamics by PC/driver)
Full implementation: Madiface XT, Fireface Fireface UCX, 802, UFX II, UFX+, HDSPe MADI FX (the only PCIe card with FX chip and a resource optimized ASIO driver)

See also my blog article with comparison sheet (Excel) now in german and english:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

The Excel here, see line 67 + 68: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/. BTW .. it only contains USB/Firewire/TB based recording interfaces, no PCI/PCIe cards.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@Ramses - Thank you for the response and I appreciate the information, and the time you've taken to compile and present it.  I will be sure to review it prior to making a final decision.  I knew I was being overly-optimistic when i asked big_smile

Hmm...I have a second question: Is it possible to configure the Digiface USB such that optical 4-output is SPDIF, and optical 4-input is ADAT? 
Or are they configured in pairs?

My rig build is sort of spread over 2-phases in order to stay on budget.

Phase 1: My plan is to use the DigiFace USB as the primary interface to the computer and a Behringer ADA8200 to get the analog IO up and running.

My cheap desktop monitors also have a SPDIF in, so I was planning on setting up one of the optical outs on the Digiface USB as SPDIF and use it for a main control rm monitor. 

This keeps my phones jack on the Digiface available for a control rm. phones mix, and all 8 outs on the Behringer available for independent headphone mixes during tracking (why i was hoping the eq would work), or for interfacing with outboard gear/mixing out of the box (phase 2).

Phase 2 Is probably going to be an analog desk with 8 post -eq , -fader outs (e.g. like the Mackie 1604VLZ4)

If the TotalMixFX EQ was available with the Digiface USB, Phase 1.5 would have been been a rackmount headphone amp with aux-in/blends.  This would have made for a great grab and go rack for rehearsals, allowing the headphone amp to handle the main mix out to the PA, or allowing us to track with each musician having a personalized headphone mix with eq.

Thanks again,
Dave

You can deduce a lot from reading the manual.

Chapter 5: "Sync LEDs 1 to 4 show the current status of all optical inputs. With no input signal they stay dark. With recognized but not synchronous ADAT or SPDIF signal they flash. With a valid and synchronous input signal they stay constantly lit."

It appears to me, that the format of the audio stream is being regignized automatically (ADAT or SPDIF), which makes sense .

Chapter 7.1: see the screenshot of settings dialog, you can choose the format per ADAT output (ADAT or SPDIF).

I think it does exactly what you require.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I agree, and that's where i was getting the idea. A little confirmation is helpful smile  Thanks again!

ramses wrote:

Partial implementation means the computation for that effects happens on PC in the RME driver.

Partial implemenation: Babyface Pro FS, MADIface Pro (reverbs+dynamics by PC/driver)

Hey, is that a PC only feature? I have not seen any dynamics in Total Mix on Mac as far as I remember when using a Babyface Pro last time.

Thanks for information and true .. when looking into manual I see only 3-Band PEQ, Low Cut, Echo and Reverb.
For the time being I can only suggest to check with the manuals to look up whats documented there.