Topic: ADAT1 Not Outputting

Hello,

I am new to working with RME products, so forgive my ignorance. I have a Fireface UFX+ in my lab that I am attempting to use in an experiment. I want to use the ADAT1 output to connect to a headphone amp. Both the Global Level Meter screen and TotalMix show there is signal being output from the ADAT1 channels, but the headphones do not actually play the signal. The signal plays clearly when the amp is plugged into the ADAT2, but I cannot use that since it is needed for SPDIF in the experiment.

I assume it has to do with channel routing, but I am not sure what the best approach would be. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Andrew L

Re: ADAT1 Not Outputting

What headphone amp does have an ADAT input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

What headphone amp does have an ADAT input?

It's a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital that I connected via fiber optic cable.

> I assume it has to do with channel routing,

No .. on the UFX II / + only ADAT2 can be set to either ADAT or SPDIF protocol ...  ADAT1 "speaks" only ADAT protocol.
And this seems to be the problem, your headphone amp does only support SPDIF.

The RME ADI-2 Pro is more flexible, it supports not only SPDIF but can also pick the two channels out of an ADAT stream ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The RME ADI-2 Pro is more flexible, it supports not only SPDIF but can also pick the two channels out of an ADAT stream ...

That's an interesting feature I've missed. Thanks for pointing it out!

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

ramses wrote:

> And this seems to be the problem, your headphone amp does only support SPDIF.

Thank you very much, Ramses! Is there any other solution to this? I need both the headphone amp and SPDIF outputs for the experiment, and I don't believe my lab will support the purchase of another RME.

Thanks,
Andrew

7 (edited by ramses 2020-09-02 18:23:00)

Maybe this one

https://www.thomann.de/de/lindy_audioko … igital.htm

Its not 100% clear from the description whether it really converts 8ch ADAT (optical) to 2ch optical SPDIF.

Pls check with Lindy ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Excellent, I will look into it. Again, thank you so much. I very much appreciate your help.

-Andrew

9 (edited by ramses 2020-09-02 20:30:53)

As I said, pls check 1st .. an e-mail back and forth is less effort compared to buying, testing, sending back ..

It is 100% clear from the description that this unit does not convert ADAT to SPDIF. What is misleading is the wrong description in the first user review, where such a conversion is stated, although not ADAT as format but ADAT as optical output (with SPDIF signal as content) is meant.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME