Topic: Babyface Pro FS SPDIF out

Hi.

I just got the new Babyface Pro FS and I'm really looking forward to learning it. I have a question about the optical SPDIF out though. Would that be possible to connect to any optical input or does it need to be specifically a SPDIF interface? I'm looking at the SC203 from Eve Audio but in the specs all it says is Optical 24bit/96kHz TOSLink.

Any thoughts?
Br,
Mattias

2 (edited by ramses 2020-09-08 14:24:49)

Re: Babyface Pro FS SPDIF out

You got a unit which came with a printed manual wink

Last / online version here:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_e.pdf

The free Adobe Acrobat Reader has a search function. So search for "ADAT" and very soon you will find this information on page 8: "Optical I/O (TOSLINK): The unit automatically detects SPDIF or ADAT input signals. The optical output can operate as ADAT or SPDIF output, depending on the current setting in the Settings dialog."

So its all there ... whatever the other device needs/supports.

The difference between ADAT and SPDIF is simply that its a different protocol which runs over the optical link:

ADAT supports
8 channels @44.1/48 kHz
4 channels @88.2/96 kHz
2 channels up to 192 kHZ

SPDIF supports always 2 channels @44.1 - 192 kHz.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses. But I know that already. I did read the manual before buying the Babyface. You misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking about SPDIF vs ADAT. I know the difference there. My question was if I can select SPDIF as the protocol and connect it to a consumer grade optical in, like on soundbars, receivers and desktop speakers.

//Matt

Hello,

yes, of course, these devices use SPDIF. Receivers may also accept AC3/DTS across Toslink, but SPDIF will work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by ramses 2020-09-08 15:59:00)

Post #3
"The optical output can operate as ADAT or SPDIF output, depending on the current setting in the Settings dialog."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

RME Support wrote:

Hello,

yes, of course, these devices use SPDIF. Receivers may also accept AC3/DTS across Toslink, but SPDIF will work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Good news. Thanks! I'm not too familiar with the digital formats.
//Matt