Topic: TotalMix - Who else wants more Snapshots?

Hi Matthias, I’m using the Fireface UFX. Thanks for an excellent product and TotalMix which I now rely on.

Many bands and performers will have 20 to 30+ songs to mix per gig however TotalMix 0.989 only allows 8 Snapshot slots. 

It’s true you can juggle slots by working through loading and rearranging “Workspaces” or individual Snapshot files however this breaks the ease of use of this feature beyond 8 songs.

For example, try re-shuffling the order of 30 songs across 4 workspaces.  It's hard enough in a studio but during a sound check it's almost unmanageable.

As an ex-programmer, I’d suggest a snapshot takes up minimal RAM (0.15 Mb) and it might be fairly easy to increase the number of slots from 8 up to perhaps 40 or so with a vertical scrollbar appearing in the Snapshot panel as required.

*Please comment if you too want this feature*

Either way, thanks for a great product!

2 (edited by stoolzo 2013-01-08 10:41:09)

Re: TotalMix - Who else wants more Snapshots?

Definite +1 for this, I use my snapshots for quick volume control, switching between 5.1 / stereo, turning sub on and off, switching monitor outputs and gear inputs for rehearsing and recording,  it all adds up. If I could I would now using a minimum of 16.

Same issue. Work as a professional "native" voice actor from Deutschland to the world and use here in my studio Fireface UCX with 4 different Mikes (Neumann, Brauner, Telefunken and Manley). From job to job I need to change the microphones and the entire peripherical setup. Sometimes I need to use Yamaha SPX 2000, sometimes Avalon 737, sometimes MAYAH ISDN, sometimes Universal Audio and so on... Snapshots are a great thing to do this quickly and on the fly in a fast production way. But I think a minimum of 16 - 20 options should be standard for professional use...

My second problem ist the use of the same fireface between a Mac and a windows interface. Its very complicated to use the same presets on both software.  It would be great if we had a folder with this presets in the system so that we could use this presets everytime without working hours to transfer all the presets from a OSX to Win7. And the any modification would be there independet of software interface.

Apart of this fireface UCX is very good, small and powerfull. Great Job. Great product. But it can be better with small software changes smile

Regards

Sorry urbano, but I don't see how more Snapshots would help in your case. It looks to me more like you are not aware of Workspaces (solving also the Win/Mac problem), and the hotkey W for your favourites.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Do you think this might be a possibility to go on the development list Matthias? 
(please smile

And would anyone else like this?

I agree with MC Urbano,   if you are changing your whole peripheral setup in between sessions then just save off the workspace and reload it from favourites the reason I wanted more snapshots is so I can quickly swap monitors, change volume and channels  instantly without having stop what I am doing, if your changes dont need to be instant you don't need snapshots really.

Hi Bruno,
the only problem will be to use the same presets in all this computers (mac or win). I  have a Fireface UCX. The best product I ever had. Really! But I still have problems to synchronize the Setups between the maschines. I use a macmini with win7 and OsX. Sometimes with Pro Tools 10 with Mac OSX (stability) and sometimes Samplitude Pro X with Win7 (Easy and simple to a quick session)... my connected hardware (ISDN, AVALON, UAD, Universal Audio and anda and) ist the same and I ever had problem to have the same setup on both setups and sometimes I dont know or remember what is the last change ... However I dont think that I should really me forced to save the presets all the time in an external folder and update this presets later in the other computer with the SAME fireface ucx...  this is a problem for me .. but maybe also only a user problem and not really a product problem ..

Abraços smile

Hi Stoolzo,

thanks for your update smile
With the new driver for Win7 I also got a Apollo Duo Core last month (UAD). But, as I sad, fireface ucx is very good. The sound is really very good. The best product I ever had. However this (sorry people I will use the word "problem) problem with the snapshots restrictions is very annoying. As Matthias sagte opsss sad, it should be only a "user" problem because I'm not aware to deal with the hole software power...

But let's thing about it:

As a voice actor I have 4 basics recording situations:

a) Recording with no background = I have a text and have to record it alone
b) Recording with background = I have a film and have to put my native voice (native speaker) on it
c) Recording with someone on the line = an artistic director via telefon or skype
d) Recording with a ISDN connection to someone on the world = slave connection to any country in the world

to work and produce I have some equipments here too:

01. NEUMANN M147
02. BRAUNER VALVET
03. TELEFUNKEN MKII
04. MAYAH ISDN
05. YAMAHA SPX 2000
06. UNIVERSAL AUDIO LA 610 MK II
07. AVALON 737
08. TELEFON PATCH
09. SKYPE
10. TRAKTOR S4
11. APOLLO DUO
(+ other things too)

I think you can imagine how complicated it is to ad some equipment or to change from telefon to skype during a session if the connection is not ok... and be sure that everything beetween the workspaces is the same. Apart of this, even if I use a workspace for each recording situation (a,b,c and d) I cannot have enough snapshots to use all the hardware or even presets (if i had a fireface UFX it would be the same!).

If you are in a production and the client is on your shoulder or ont the line you dont have time to do mistakes and have to care with your image ... showing that you know what you are doing... that you are a profi... and if something goes wrong or take too long ... well its too late...

Another problem is to change between win7 and mac ... if you work with fireface very long and change beetween the WIn7 and Mac OSX due software restrictions.... at the end of the day... you never really know which preset is uptodate and what you have to save and import...

Perhaps all this very small problems are really only a human interface issue ... but I'm not sure... I think if we are able to help ourselves with very small changes in the software structure why not?

Regards / Grüße

Urban

Did you thought to use the cloud to sync your presets ?

JM

Hi Jean ... what do you mean... dropbox for instance?

Yes, or anything like (iCloud for instance).

JM

Yes, sure. I have a synology server in my studio and have a folder for the workspaces. But the problem for me is that I need to save the workspaces one by one everytime and manage every small change (There are a lot of in each recording session) in an external media ... and push thin again in the fireface so far I change the software interface beetween windows and mac...  I dont really think that this is a clean solution for a professional use. We should have at least some banks that are in the equipment AND the possibility to save also more presets elsewhere ...

regards from Germany
Urban

Thanks for adding extra information Urban. I guess you know your situation & you feel more Snapshots in front of you (ie in a single workspace) would help you use the UCX more.

If I've understood correctly... you are not using the UCX as much as you'd like because of this limitation (or "problem" as you put it) - is that right?

+1 for more snapshots!

Riggs pointed my attention to this thread.

I dont need the large amount of snapshots that he does, but the way he wants to use the UCX is similar to mine.
I use my UCX only as a live soundcard/mixer with a MacBook pro.

Makers of soundcards (that I have known) talk about the possible use as live mixer, (stand-alone or with computer)
but they seem to think features from a studio-use point of view.

My earlier request in the live-use line of thinking, was to be able to "lock" parameters when loading snapshots.
Example:
A singer needs a small change in mic-gain on a gig.
As it is, we have to go to all snapshots and manually make the correction and save.
Similar examples could apply to eq- and fx-settings.
Parameters that can need gig-specific adjustments.

In a live situation the philosophy could well be, that Workspaces are total setups, and Snapshots are "automations" within the setup.

Also in a live situation it can be obvious to want to control parameters of the mixer from either a physical midi-controller or from "automation"-miditracks in a sequencer via midi-cc's. (like can be done with many synths, fx-machines etc.)

And for live use, the option of tempo-controlled delay would make the UCX more versatile.

If I were to put a headline on all these (and probably more) requests, it would be to expand the constructors view to seriously include live-use in terms of features that would enhance the mixer.

Best regards
Kim Holst

On Riggs request for more Snapshots, one could say, that 127 could be a logical number.
Controllable with midi-pgch.

(midi-bank-select controlling Workspaces maybe :-)  )

best regards
Kim Holst

Good Morning Riggs, Good Morning Volks,

Yes, I have a Fireface UCX too. I don’t put the UCX in my hardware list because it was evident for me that Fireface UCX is the core of my voice over studio. And yes, even if I don’t change the plugged hardware (mayah, universal audio and ...) I still need more snapshots to be able to do different types of recording sessions, setting for instance the correct equalization, audio level and routing for my voice and the different hardware that I ever need to use for each production. Another point that I hadn’t commented are the software inputs. We shouldn’t forget that today we use also many different software programs during a record session and  they expand our settings needs inside a workspace and so the snapshots problems too!

For all these small but very important things during our professional daily work with Fireface UCX and other hardware and software equipment, the current snapshots aren’t enough… 

Regards/Grüße

> even if I use a workspace for each recording situation (a,b,c and d)

That would be a way to improve the situation, at least.

> But the problem for me is that I need to save the workspaces one by one everytime and manage every small change

That sounds more like you don't like the current way of data handling at all. Fact is that you will lose all your current snapshots the moment you load a different workspace. We already have plans to improve this by a warning dialog as well as an autosave option.

> (There are a lot of in each recording session) in an external media ... and push thin again in the fireface so far I change the software interface beetween windows and mac...

That is unclear to me. If I store my Workspaces in Dropbox (just an example) there is no need to push anything, except for loading the desired Workspace as first step when starting to work. IMHO it makes no sense to load the basic stuff automatically (and sync it automatically), as in 99.9% of the cases different settings are used in Win and Mac - even if both computers are used from the same person.

Another interesting option would be to change the W hotkey from registry to a user defined directory (which also could be a DropBox folder). That gives identical and quick access to a lot of configuration files.

Apart from the missing hotkey loading a snapshot file already gives access to whatever number of Snapshots you want, plus clear (and long) naming. The only thing missing here is a way to save the current state/mods more quick to such files. ed:

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the comments everyone! And Matthias - who has many requests to prioritise & manage.

Another aspect in how I use Snapshots for speed in a live situation is I have one of the slots set to quickly mute all band inputs except for the main mic so the front person can talk to the crowd. Then the moment they're ready I'll click on the next song (Snapshot) in the set and they'll start playing.
Loading from files, which is possible is a step further away from the speed & certainty of getting my mouse ready & doing a single click when live. Having all the songs lined up visually in the Snapshot window would be a saving grace here.

@Kim Holst:
Locking a channel to prevent changes when switching Snapshots sounds very useful. Similar to 'Record View' where we can arm/disarm channels, a similar Lock View might be a way to implement this.
That said, this represents more development work than simply increasing the number of Snapshots in the Snapshot panel.

Rapid foldback mixes:
One of the first things that impressed me with TotalMix when setting up each song for a band, was to finish the Main Mix for a song then right-click "Copy" on the Main output channel (in the bottom row of faders) then right-click "Paste" onto one of the foldback outputs and simply raise that person's instrument/mic volume.  Very fast.

@Matthias, are you able to confirm at this stage if more Snapshots in the Snapshot Panel is now on the development list?
Thanks

We wrote down some ideas already :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok. So it's sound like the plan might be to keep the number of Snapshots to 8 in the panel but make the load process as fast as possible (ie via hotkey) from a folder the user can define?

22 (edited by Zip 2017-12-12 02:02:37)

Hi,

I'm aboard with Riggs concerning live performances.

As live performers we very seldom change mixer setups, but

could really use timing synchronization for delay and reverb, without loading a new snapshot.

Thanks

I too would like more snapshots.  I'm trying to set up Totalmix as a monitor mixer for live music shows.  I'd like to have enough snapshots for snapshot per song (around 40).

24 (edited by ramses 2020-09-06 10:34:28)

Are you aware of, that TM FX has 30 "Workspace Quick Select" Slots (open TM FX, press "W").

Such a workspace slot contains "Snapshot-" and "Workplace-" Settings.
So each of these 30 Workspace Quick Select slots can have 8 individual Snapshots of its own.

By this you have in fact 30x8 = 240 Snapshots already available without the need to load different snapshot files via "Load Snapshot", which takes a little bit more time, but at the end would also possible to load another Snapshot file with another 8 Snapshots / routings.

With ALT-1, ALT-2 .. ALT-9 you have quick access to the first 9 Workspace Quick Select Slots
-> This gives you already 9 * 8 = 72 Snapshots "at your fingertips".

TBH .. If you look at TM FX and the ARC USB .. More than 8 Snapshots make no sense. All the other controls would be hidden at the bottom and the ARC USB which belongs also to this concept has only 8 buttons ... So an extension to more than 8 Snapshots for TM FX makes no sense.

The Workplaces are already there, to cover your demands, so that you do not have to load them from file as I mentioned already. On the other hand, its not that much effort to store 5 files "snap-01-01-08" .. "snap-05-33-40" and to load them on demand via "File -> Load Snapshot".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Well said, ramses! Note that the feature to pre-load a workspace without getting active immediately also helps.

Still we plan to raise the number of directly accessible Snapshots to 16 per Workspace. This has been asked for earlier and is already on our list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

TBH .. If you look at TM FX and the ARC USB .. More than 8 Snapshots make no sense. All the other controls would be hidden at the bottom and the ARC USB which belongs also to this concept has only 8 buttons ... So an extension to more than 8 Snapshots for TM FX makes no sense.

I don't agree. Using my ARC USB as a monitor controller switching between 5.1, stereo etc. I could imagine that there would be shortcuts where I should press 2 buttons. While working I almost never open the TM window. I want everything I often need under a button on my ARC USB. Mouseclicks are slow, buttons are fast!

Totalmix is very flexible but still lacks a good monitorsection and proper 5.1 and 7.1 functionality. In my dreams TM works with Eucon.

Thank you Ramses for the info.  I am just getting into TM and am experimenting on how this will work for me.  I was aware of the ability to save Work spaces, but not of the "quick select" option.  Also, Matthias, I'm happy to hear that snapshots will increase to 16 in the future!  Is there a timeline on that feature update?  An issue I foresee us running into is that we change the song order of our set fairly regularly, so if we have a snapshot per song and all 8 snapshots used in a particular work space, I can see us needing to go from work space A to loading workspace B for an added song, then go right back to loading workspace A.  We don't use a monitor mix tech, so guys on stage would have to switch the scenes.  That said, using alt-1, alt-2, etc shortcuts would be pretty quick.

> That said, using alt-1, alt-2, etc shortcuts would be pretty quick.
I can confirm that it loads really fast.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Also, on a side note, any options for an android remote app for Totalmix?

Please, please...more snapshots and workspaces selectable via midi!!!
If you could instantly select any of a large number of whole mixes as you could with any of the digital hardware mixers it would be GREAT.