1 (edited by watchnerd 2020-09-12 17:31:08)

Topic: Analog Output Recommendations: Monitors + RTR Tape Deck

What's the recommended best practice for hooking up analog outputs to both powered monitor speakers and a reel to reel tape deck?

Ideally, I'd like the signal to the monitors to be variable (controlled by volume knob), but the signal to the tape deck to be fixed.

Monitor Speakers:
Dynaudio LYD-5
Inputs: XLR, TRS

Tape Deck:
Revox PR-99 MK II
Inputs: XLR

I'm trying to record from the computer to the tape deck.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-09-12 20:38:07)

Re: Analog Output Recommendations: Monitors + RTR Tape Deck

If you own ADI-2 Pro you can use the XLR Ch 1/2 for the monitors, and the headphones out 3/4 for the tape recorder.

With ADI-2 DAC get a Mackie Big Knob passive controller for the monitor's level setting:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_big_knob_passive.htm

In both cases you need some fitting adapter cables, which are easily obtainable in good quality for low prices in music stores.

3 (edited by watchnerd 2020-09-12 20:45:35)

KaiS wrote:

If you own ADI-2 Pro you can use the XLR Ch 1/2 for the monitors, and the headphones out 3/4 for the tape recorder.

With ADI-2 DAC get a Mackie Big Knob passive controller for the monitor's level setting:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_big_knob_passive.htm

In both cases you need some fitting adapter cables, which are easily obtainable in good quality for low prices in music stores.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I own the ADI-2 Pro.

If I do as you suggest, I'm not clear why I would need the extra Big Knob.

Can't I control the monitor volume on Ch 1/2 from the main ADI-2 Pro knob, as I do now?

If I use the front panel 3/4 output (not aesthetically idea), I guess I can set the volume to "LOCK".

Will that make it behave like a fixed output?

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-09-13 07:33:32)

The Mackie Big Knob solution is for ADI-2 DAC only.
ADI-2 Pro doesn't need it, although it would work here too, if you want to keep output 3/4 for headphones use.

If you do use an angled TRS 6.3 jack for output 3/4 aesthetics should be OK.
Yes, "Lock" prevents accidential level changes, see manual page 95.