Topic: Fireface UC on New Mac Pro - Sound Stuttering

Hello.

I installed the latest driver and firmware for my Fireface UC when connecting to my new Mac Pro 2020.  I'm running Catalina v10.15.6 (19G2021).  3.2GHz 16-core with lots of memory.

I am sending my mac sound to the Fireface via USB.  From there I send it to my speaker system.  It works, but music is stuttering randomly.  Both from iTunes and from Logic.  Sometimes a very miner glitch and other times heavy but quick.  So I turned off the Fireface and hooked up my Mac directly to the speaker system using the headphone out.  It works perfectly with no stuttering.  So the problem is absolutely the Fireface UC.

Is there a driver or firmware update coming for Catalina or something else I'm missing?

Thank you!

Re: Fireface UC on New Mac Pro - Sound Stuttering

1) Is the Fireface UC in Mac Mode?

2) Does it work fine with a different machine?

3) Do you have a Thunderbolt dock with USB ports where you could try to plug the Fireface?
Those docks have their own USB controller and were the go-to solution/workaround for major USB audio problems on Mac. Those have been mostly fixed through software/firmware updates by Apple but who knows - what you are describing sounds just like those.

3 (edited by Maddcow 2020-09-14 07:20:39)

Re: Fireface UC on New Mac Pro - Sound Stuttering

Are you 100% sure it’s the UC? Try setting the audio format to 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz....there’s a bug with Catalina and recent Macs whereby there are audio issues with 44.1kHz but this doesn’t happen with the headphone output. I’ve been working with Apple engineers on this issue. At higher frequencies, the “stuttering” will be faster and the opposite with lower frequencies.