Topic: Digiface USB - clock sync

I'm a longtime HDSPe AIO user, moving from MacPro to iMac so need to change my interface. Considering Digiface USB.

I need to connect:
MOTU 2408 mk2 (using as stand-alone converter for 8 analog ins-> ADAT and ADAT->8 analog outs)
Focusrite ISA 428 with digi card (mostly just for live recordings)
Expert Sleepers ES-3 (output to modular synth)

I'm trying to understand how I would go about clocking everything correctly. The MOTU and Focusrite both have wordclock in and out. The Digiface of course has no wordclock.

If I were to just connect the MOTU, could I select internal sync in RME settings and MOTU would sync correctly in both directions?

If I'm using all 3 devices, since Focusrite has no ADAT in would I need to choose one as clock master? Is there any thought as to which would be the most stable sync source (guessing Focusrite is higher end)? If I choose Focusrite would I need to run a cable from Focusrite wordclock out to MOTU wc in, then select Focusrite as sync source in RME settings and on MOTU? Or is it better (if possible) to keep MOTU and Digiface synced via ADAT (RME internal sync), then sync Focusrite to MOTU via wordclock?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about all this!

Many thanks
Harry

Re: Digiface USB - clock sync

It is best to keep your most important device as master. So your ad when recording and da when mixing and mastering. Keeping your digiface as master is only useful when using it headphones. But having said this, this is mostly theoretical, audible differences might not be there at all. One pre of keeping the digiface master is that sample rate changes are easier. Otoh keeping the focusrite master will work without wc cables. It is just choices without right or wrong.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks so much. So essentially when using the MOTU I can set Digiface clock to internal, but when using the Focusrite I should set the DF to ext clock to that, because it's only a one way connection from pre to interface? Good to hear I don't need WC cables.

Hazza26 wrote:

Thanks so much. So essentially when using the MOTU I can set Digiface clock to internal, but when using the Focusrite I should set the DF to ext clock to that, because it's only a one way connection from pre to interface? Good to hear I don't need WC cables.

Yes! And you are welcome :-)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632