Topic: Can you daisy chain 2 BabyFace Pro FS for more inputs?

I need a couple more inputs and I'm wondering if I can simply buy another BabyFace Pro FS and just use ADAT to use the other BF's inputs on a single PC?

Re: Can you daisy chain 2 BabyFace Pro FS for more inputs?

Basically yes. See manual for drawbacks of multiple unit use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Basically yes. See manual for drawbacks of multiple unit use.

Any highlights on the drawbacks?
Looking through the manual (PDF) I may be searching for the wrong term in the sense of finding the info regarding the drawbacks.

Thank you!

4 (edited by ramses 2020-09-21 21:34:29)

Manual chapter 18.

https://www.rme-audio.de/download/bface_pro_fs_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/bface_pro_fs_e.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Oh my goodness... it was literally spelled out — "Using more than one Babyface Pro". Sorry about that!

It mentions that it works with OS X "OS X supports the usage of more than one audio device within an audio software" does this also work with windows (10 specifically)?  Also, did I read that correctly that there is no need to plug it into USB (second unit)?  I'm assuming this means it needs a power supply?

Also, there would be two instances of Total Mix at all times?

Thank you for your time!

6 (edited by ramses 2020-09-22 05:35:14)

Chapter 11 for PC
Chapter 33.2 about stand-alone mode

You can use a 2nd BBF Pro in either stand-alone mode or connect it via USB cable to keep it operational via TM FX.

Yes you need to have to work with two TM FX instances and routing is only possible inside of such an instance.
You can not route an input of BBF #1 to an output of BBF #2.
But you can route i.e. analog inputs of BBF #2 via ADAT to BBF #1.

You need to clock synch both devices
i.e. BBF #1 clock master, ADAT OUT --------------> ADAT IN BBF #2 is clock slave and gets clock via ADAT

It might make more sense, if you need more preamps to connect a preamp via ADAT to get 4 or 8 more preamps.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Chapter 11 for PC
Chapter 33.2 about stand-alone mode

You can use a 2nd BBF Pro in either stand-alone mode or connect it via USB cable to keep it operational via TM FX.

Yes you need to have to work with two TM FX instances and routing is only possible inside of such an instance.
You can not route an input of BBF #1 to an output of BBF #2.
But you can route i.e. analog inputs of BBF #2 via ADAT to BBF #1.

You need to clock synch both devices
i.e. BBF #1 clock master, ADAT OUT --------------> ADAT IN BBF #2 is clock slave and gets clock via ADAT

It might make more sense, if you need more preamps to connect a preamp via ADAT to get 4 or 8 more preamps.

Yeah, I really just want a couple more phantom powered inputs and want to stick with RME, so with the upcoming sale I figured the most cost effective way to do it was to just buy another BF PRO FS and it would be cool to have a "back up" BF PRO.

I just want to have my main BF (BF1) control everything like normal and have the BF2 just feed a couple more inputs to the BF1.

So it sounds like this is possible?

If the BF1 is receiving inputs from BF2 via ADAT those BF2 inputs are not controllable via BF1's total mix?

I would still need to plug in the BF2 via USB to the pc to control the volumes and phantom power with its own instance of TOTAL MIX?

You can easily control the mic gains at the unit itself, so no problem to use it as stand-alone digital mic preamp. I like the idea of a 'backup' unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can easily control the mic gains at the unit itself, so no problem to use it as stand-alone digital mic preamp. I like the idea of a 'backup' unit.

and just to confirm...  I would be able to assign the input of the BF2(backup) with a single instance of TOTAL MIX as long as BF2(backup) is connected to the optical IN of the BF1(main)?  So I can freely assign it within my DAW/PC?

In that case it IS the optical input, so it's there already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In that case it IS the optical input, so it's there already.

Thank you for clearing that up.