Topic: A problem with BBF Pro FS, 2 days after a purchase ;(

I recently bought a Babyface Pro FS. I considered many different audio interfaces for my home studio, but eventually decided to go with RME: I paid premium in order to get the most stable drivers and the best user experience.

After 2 days of usage today I started experiencing some major issues...

My setup:
Lenovo Legion Y730
i5 8300H
24GB DD4 RAM
2 SSD drives
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050Ti

Windows 10 Home
According to Windows Update - everything is up to date

RME Babyface Pro FS
Drivers 1.1.68.0
In the device properties I see the folloiwng message: "Device USB\VID_2A39&PID_3FC0\322789BBF8DD3C8 requires further installation."

Novation Launchkey49 MKII
Reaper

An interface works - there is a sound in my headphones, in the system sounds I see all the inputs/outputs. PC sounds work, most of the programs work ok (even some standalone VSTIs).

The problem is with DAW (Reaper) and some other VSTIs.

When I run Reaper, I get the following error:
"Error opening device
There was an error opening the audio hardware:
Error loading ASIO driver"

In the "Device" settings in Reaper I have the following now:
Audio system: ASIO
ASIO Driver: ASIO Fireface USB
No inputs or outputs are recognized

I googled the symphomps, tried to apply some of the suggestions but with no success. If anything - it made it worse! Finally my BBF Pro FS was not recognized at all (after I unistalled and installed drivers again). I needed to do the system restoration in order to go back to the previous state. After restoring the system to the state from 2 days ago, it all worked for several minutes (icl. Reaper) and then it suddenly stopped.

Summary of what I've tried:
- Reistallation of RME drivers (didn't help, made it worse)
- Using different cables included (USB A / USB C)
- Using different USB ports in my laptop
- Unplugging all other USB devices (MIDI keyboard, wireless mouse/keyboard)
- This: "go to Windows\System32\fireface_usb_asio.dll (and asio_64.dll). Right click on this file and choose Properties. Go to tab Security. You can now see the rights that are assigned to SYSTEM, Admins and Users. For Users, only 'read,execute' and 'read' are checked. That is Windows default."
- Plugging power supply (12V, 1,5 A)

Kindly ask you for your support. The last thing I expected after buying RME product are drivers issues ;(

Re: A problem with BBF Pro FS, 2 days after a purchase ;(

Windows 10 HOME ... tough tough / bad idea, better get Pro to be able to delay Windows updates until they are mature.

Which version of Windows 10 BTW ? 1909 ? 2004 ? You know that 2004 might still have some rough edges ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Version    10.0.19041 Build 19041

The BF Pro is in CC mode. See manual how to change to PC mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I changed it (disconnected the unit completely, pressed Select+Dim, connected USB cable -> PC was displayed by the level meters). Then I restarted my PC but there is exactly the same issue.

So now you can start the Settings dialog and check the firmware and driver version (on the About tab), and you can start TotalMix FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Windows Vista/7/8/10 driver
Windows WDM and ASIO 2.3 support
Driver date: 27.06.19
Driver version: 1.168
Hardware revision: 125

As I mentioned, TotalMix FX works fine but Reaper or e.g. Addictive Keys doesn't regonize the device.

Now that you are back in PC mode simply install the driver 1.168 a second time and reboot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by blinket 2020-09-21 19:17:05)

I did it but it didn't help, still the same issue.

After installing the drivers again I can see the same set of messages in my Device Manager for RME BBF Pro properties (with today's date):
- 21.09.2020 18:17:16 Device not migrated (information: Device USB\VID_2A39&PID_3FC0\322789BBF8DD3C8 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.
Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_1235&PID_0031&MI_00\6&29546133&0&0000
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF132
Present: false
- 21.09.2020 18:17:17 Driver service added (firefaceu64) (information: Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service firefaceu64 for Device Instance ID USB\VID_2A39&PID_3FC0\322789BBF8DD3C8 with the following status: 0.

However, the general tabs message says "This device is working properly.".

And it does. This message is normal, expected, and NOT the same that you stated in post 1.

Seriously, I am not convinced that everything works except ASIO. That never happened before. You could install DIGICheck and try with it as it has full ASIO support.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I installed DigiCheck. In the input device setup I can see:
ASIO driver select: ASIO Fireface USB
Below there are 2 bars (L/R) with inputs, which are recognized. I changed the first input to Instr.3., plugged my guitar and the meters move.

12 (edited by blinket 2020-09-22 20:25:17)

I've just tried sth else - I've installed the drivers on my old laptop, connected the unit and it's worked just fine in every way (incl. Reaper and Addictive Keys).

I also studied this:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27371
And this (given as a solution in the thread above):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209257

I tried with creating another user admin account (BTW, my current account is also of Administrator type) - didn't help.
I tried different UAC settings, I gave all permissions to Users / Administrators / SYSTEM user groups for reaper.exe - didn't help.

blinket wrote:

I installed DigiCheck. In the input device setup I can see:
ASIO driver select: ASIO Fireface USB
Below there are 2 bars (L/R) with inputs, which are recognized. I changed the first input to Instr.3., plugged my guitar and the meters move.

We don't do anything special here. This simply prooves that our ASIO driver is working as it should. Of course it does not explain why Reaper doesn't.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME