Topic: Aggregate Device - Babyface + Buil-in Output, clock?

Hello,

I'm setting up a live show to play backing tracks and various synths from my computer, using a BabyFace (old blue one).
I was using the 4 analog outputs and needed two more lines, so I set up an Aggregate Device to address the BabyFace + the Built-in Output (headphones/line out) of my Macbook.

I have been working in full-day rehearsals with this setup for 3 days and didn't get a single issue, but am I playing with fire here? I'm setting the BabyFace as the master clock but does it transmit via USB to the computer, or was I just lucky not to experience a drop anywhere?

Thanks for your help,
Best,
Clément

Re: Aggregate Device - Babyface + Buil-in Output, clock?

Usually both devices should be synced. You could use the MacBook's optical output (it usually has one hidden in the TRS output jack, check the manual) as clock source of the Babyface. But if it worked for you so far then it seems not necessary. Unsync causes audible problems after minutes, not days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh that's a very good point I do have on optical input on my Macbook Pro.
But if there is no reason to be afraid I guess I'll go on without for now.
Thanks for your support.

At the same moment, you would plug an optical cable into the output on the MacBook, the two additional analog channels are gone...

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

5 (edited by clement-marion 2020-09-23 09:09:32)

True that! Maybe the other way around, if I use the optical input of the Macbook (this mid-2012 15" has separated ports for Input & Output) and RME feeding its clock to the CPU.
Anyways still no bug so far so I didn't buy an optical cable yet.
Thanks for your reply smile