Topic: UFX + - Newbie MADI Question

Hello,

I am a new RME UFX+ owner and I have a newbie question regarding the MADI connections:

There are two MADI I/O available; the coaxial and the optical. Can they be used independantly? Or do they always have to be used in a redundant fashion?

I am asking because I am considering purchasing a Ferrofish A32 AD/DA Converter as it seems to be the best bang for buck for my little home studio. However, only 16 of the 32 inputs and outputs are available at 96 khz.

I was therefore wondering if it is possible to split the 32 channels into two separate MADI connections with 16 channels on each one.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Julien

Re: UFX + - Newbie MADI Question

Did you check the manual ?

MADI Output
Options: Optical - default. Mirror - the BNC word clock output can be used as coaxial MADI output carrying the same signal as the optical output. Split - uses both outputs with 32 channels each.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by midifail 2020-09-25 13:43:37)

Re: UFX + - Newbie MADI Question

zero-frag wrote:

I am asking because I am considering purchasing a Ferrofish A32 AD/DA Converter as it seems to be the best bang for buck for my little home studio. However, only 16 of the 32 inputs and outputs are available at 96 khz.

Are you sure about this?
Madi can carry 64 Channels @ 48kHz, so with S/Mux you should be able to get 32 @ 96 kHz...

Take a look here:
https://www.ferrofish.com/de/product/a3 … ifications

MADI I/O (AES10)
Optical (multimode) + Coaxial interface

64 channels @32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz
32 channels @64kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
32 channels @128kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz*“

Frequently in use:
Fireface UFX+, Fireface 800 (as a AD/DA-Converter) and an old RME Sweater... ;-)