1 (edited by daleprasco 2020-09-26 09:15:16)

Topic: Combining two ADI-2`s for four inputs

I am trying to figure out how to combine two ADI-2`s for four inputs but am having no luck...

2 (edited by ramses 2020-09-26 09:46:46)

Re: Combining two ADI-2`s for four inputs

Get a Digiface USB as recording interface, it has 4 ADAT ports which you can use to combine up to 4 ADI-2's.
Digiface USB can act as clock master
- also cable Digiface ADAT OUT to ADI-2's ADAT IN
- On Digiface USB select clock source internal to make the interface clock master
- At the ADI-2's front select clock input from opt(ical).

Digiface USB  <---- ADAT1 IN------- ADI-2 #1 +<-- Analog IN 1
                                                                     +<-- Analog IN 2
                      ----- ADAT1 OUT ---> ADI-2 (*)

<---- ADAT2 IN------- ADI-2 #2 +<-- Analog IN 3
                                                                     +<-- Analog IN 4
                      ----- ADAT2 OUT ---> ADI-2 (*)

(*) for getting the clock via ADAT IN

By this you have a nice recording interface on your PC with
- TotalMix FX
- Phones output
- two ADAT ports still free for other purposes
BTW: each of the ADAT ports are switchable from ADAT to optical SPDIF protocol, by this you can i.e. also connect a HiFi Receiver with optical SPDIF port.

Optional: you can even use an ARC USB, as this needs only a TotalMix FX capable recording interface which is the case here. For this you simply need to plug the ARC to a free USB port on your Windows or Apple computer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses, thank you so much, i greatly appreciate your response!!! Sounds like the Digiface USB is the way to go..!

A Sweetwater "sales engineer" told me i could use both simultaneously by connecting the digital RCA out of the 2nd ADI-2 to the RCA input of the other ADI-2 which is connected to the imac via toslink in and out. I had no luck with this configuration, is that even possible?

You didn't tell, what connection you have towards PC ...
With the two "converters" you still have no recording interface with TM FX ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I am using an older imac that has an 1/8 in. line input and an 1/8 in. headphone out, these jacks double as digital in and out, using cables with 1/8 on one end and toslink on the other to get in and out of the ADI-2.

Also, i am not familiar with TM FX, i assume this is a desirable thing...

A line input of a computer has usually not the quality of a recording interface or AD/DA converter.

TotalMix FX is the RME mixer software with enhanced features to control the inputs and outputs of the recording interface and routing of channels so that you will get the perfect mix for monitors and phones.

To get an overview, what TotalMix FX can do, here a collection of RME videos:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

8 (edited by daleprasco 2020-09-27 19:21:23)

Thanks again ramses!

To clarify, my ADI-2 is connected digitally in and out to the computer via the ADI-2`s adat jacks.

On the computer side, surprisingly, the the "mic/line in" and "headphone out" jacks on Macs are dual function, analog and digital.

So, i was hoping to simply connect the second ADI-2 to the first ADI-2 that is currently connected without purchasing another piece of hardware...

9 (edited by ramses 2020-09-27 19:45:11)

This won't work.

The ADI-2 has no routing capabilities to route its own two analog ports to ADAT channels 1+2 and to route digital audio coming from the other ADI-2 through ADAT to ADAT channels 3+4. The next issue might even be the port on the Apple whether it supports ADAT protocol with 8 channels.

If you wouldn't have had the ADI-2 already then I would have recommended you a RME recording interface which has already a couple of analog ports built-in, like UC or UCX.

The Digiface USB's advantage is, that it is not so expensive.

But you might need to make a cross-calculation whether it would be worth selling the ADI-2 instead of getting a 2nd ADI-2 (used) and an Digiface USB. Because then you have to handle three devices in total which might not look nice...

Instead it would be more practical to get an UC or even UCX which have already 8 analog ports in and out and some other interesting port reserves for you ... including TotalMix FX.

10 (edited by waedi 2021-01-22 22:37:01)

I can't tell something new. The iMacs input and output are special sockets where you can use special toslink plugs.
But it is a SPDIF and not an adat connection. 1 stereo channel, not more.
You have to use USB to go into the iMac.
And the Digiface USB ist the best solution for connecting multiple devices via adat.
And you will have a real RME audio-interface with Totalmix and Digicheck. !
Btw Totalmix is not just an additional software for having more cool faders, Totalmix is the visualization of the interface, it is the interface. And it is easy to learn and use and you will love it !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you waedi,

I have since purchased the Digiface USB, it is great and a total game changer on many levels.

I absolutely do love it!