Topic: Totalmix headphone monitoring newbie query

Hi, Sorry to bother you with this, but I really cant work out this issue. 
I've downloaded the latest drivers for my fireface 400 and I can't get the sound of the source ( i.e. vocal or guitar) I'm recording through the headphones. It must be a totalmix thing.
I've looked at several rme videos online and read my manual all without success.
I have made changes recently to my set up and this is a new problem. I now have a new 2 channel mic pre amp going into channel 5/6. The mic is going through that to the Fireface 400.
I can see the headphone signal in mono at the top of total mix hardware inputs an5/6.
The headphones are plugged into the Fireface 400 monitor ch7/8.
When I play back a song from reaper that comes through the headphones fine as before.
But I cant hear what I'm singing into the mic through the headphones?
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm sure its a simple thing but I just cant seem to get there!

2 (edited by ramses 2020-10-04 12:40:21)

Re: Totalmix headphone monitoring newbie query

In TM FX ensure you use Submix mode.
1. Click to the HW Output to which you want to route audio.
2. Raise the fader of HW inputs or SW playback channels as needed. In your case in the top row for Analog 5/6 IN.
Thats it.
If it still doesnt work, check whether you muted the input or the output. BTW mute on the inputs doesn't affect a DAW recording, as audio through HW Inputs is always being passed through to the application.

The HW outputs are in the bottom row. If you do not find your phones output under the name "Analog 7/8", then check whether you assigned these already to the control room of TM FX. This enables you to use control room features like "dim" or "mono" for those outputs.

Same for your other outputs, in "submix mode" click to another output (aka "submix", hence the name for this mode) and then move the faders of HW inputs and SW playback channels as you need (top and middle row).

The HW inputs in the top row represent the inputs of your recording device.
Audio from these inputs you can route with near zero latency to the outputs of the recording interface.
The SW playback channels in the middle row represent audio coming from the PC the the typical RTL via USB/FW that depends on sample rate and ASIO buffersize.

If were you I would store the routing to Monitors and to Phones into two separate TM FX snapshots, so that its easy for you
to recall them as needed.

Further information:

My TM FX primer with 1st steps for a setup.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

Collection of RME TM FX videos (new and old, all very good)
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

The user manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Many thanks for the helpful links Ramses, I've followed your guide and now have no sound coming out of my monitors or headphones. On the bottom righthand side of TM where it says main control room there is no output showing there.
Its there showing as signal in the software playback and hardware output?
I'll go through you're links now,
How do i check whether I've muted input or output, not quite sure where that is shown in TM?

Never mind that previous post its working now Ramses, I've not sure what I've done but its working again, as it was before. Thanks again for your help it's much appreciated.