Topic: Headphone amp compatibility with RME Babyface pro

Hello new here, so sorry if this is novice territory. I am trying to find a way to more easily control headphone mixes for multiple people while recording, and be able to control different volumes for each headphone. I don't always want to be listening at the same level as the person I am recording. RME comes with the 2 headphone outputs that can't be controlled separately (from what I've heard), so I bought a Presonus hp4 Headphone amp to use. I plugged in a balanced 1/4" TRS into the headphone jack on the RME that goes to a y-split 1/4" TRS into the Presonus, since on the Presonus you have to plug in a left and right, not just one 1/4" TRS like on the Mackie hm-4 or Behringer HA-400. I can barely hear any volume coming from the headphones plugged into the Presonus hp4. I'm guessing it's a cable issue, or the headphone amp in the RME can't handle the boost to the Presonus? I hooked up the Presonus to the 2 monitor outputs (XLR to 1/4 TRS) on the RME and it sounds amazing, but I want to be able to use that for my monitors, while I have the headphone amp going through the headphones output, so I can control up to 4 headphone mixes all separately.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Presonus hp4 is compatible or not, or if I should try for a different headphone amp that would work while plugged into the RME headphone jack. Also wondering if I'm using the wrong cables.

Adam

Re: Headphone amp compatibility with RME Babyface pro

It must work. You either hadn't send something to the Phones ouput that moment, or did not switch the Presonus inputs to TS (don't know that unit).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by adaumus 2020-10-06 08:09:57)

Re: Headphone amp compatibility with RME Babyface pro

MC wrote:

It must work. You either hadn't send something to the Phones ouput that moment, or did not switch the Presonus inputs to TS (don't know that unit).

Maybe the chord I'm using is wrong. It is a 1/4" TRS balanced (connected to RME) split to two 1/4" TRS balanced (both connected to Presonus hp4). Presonus says to use TRS when possible. You mentioned TS (that's unbalanced right?)