Topic: I want you to add gain to the Total Mix of Babyface Pro FS

I have a Fireface UCX and a Babyface Pro FS.
I felt the difference between UCX and Babyface Pro FS.
It may not be possible to add a compressor due to DSP.
But. Add a dynamics "gain" to the Babyface Pro FS Total Mix.
Only the gain is needed.
There is no problem with listening to a mastered CD sound source, but sometimes when listening to a YouTube sound source with a very low volume, the volume may not be enough even if the fader is set to 0 dB.
I want you to add it if possible.

I hope you read this topic.
Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-10-08 11:57:43)

Re: I want you to add gain to the Total Mix of Babyface Pro FS

Strange and sorry upfront, if I should understand your problem not exactly...

Your english is fine btw, surely better compared to my Japanese :-)

For one thing, I've never had the problem that anything from YouTube was too quiet.
Could you kindly give some example URLs please, which show your problem, that it is too silent.

Unfortunately you didn't tell, which operating system you are using. I can only comment to a Windows system.
And as I don't know your setup exactly, just a few more "guesses" from my side....

Under Windows audio from a browser is being routed through the Windows sound system including Windows Mixer. I would double-check again, if you have turned down audio somewhere in the Windows Mixer or maybe there is something additional in the signal path of Windows audio.

If so, the output level of the software playback channel in the middle row of TotalMix would also be relatively low, or the video wouldn't have a higher volume. One of both.

If you would send an example URL, then we can cross check for you, how it sounds here and maybe this makes things also clearer. At the moment I have some doubts why the Babyface Pro should have an issue. Rather than that I would simply say, if Youtube Audio is too low, turn up the volume ...

BTW, to complete the informations ...
What OS please.
Where is it too silent, through monitors or phones ?
Which monitors and phones please (brand, modell) ?
What are the settings of the HW output channel ?

A screenshot of your TM FX settings would be fantastic
- showing the "submix" / HW output where this occurs
- showing the HW Outputs settings in TM FX
- showing the signal in the SW Playback Channel for this particular submix

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I was a mistake to write that the sound source of YouTube is quiet.
I'm in trouble when the distributor is broadcasting at a low volume on YouTube Live, Twitch, etc.
At that time, I used Gain from UCX's Total Mix Dynamics.
My environment is macOS Mojave.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-10-08 16:34:48)

Why is it not a solution for you to simply increase the volume?
You could even save this higher level in a TM FX snapshot and recall it when needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Simple workaround:

1. Pull fader up to +6 dB

2. Use the EQ. Fiddlle with the settings, it is possible to have up to 12 dB broadband, nearly perfectly linear gain this way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

+ 6dB with Playback and + 6dB with Hardware Output will give I enough audible volume.
This method is good.
But I wanted to add "Gain".
I'm not confident in raising the volume with EQ without losing balance.
Thank you for your answer.