Topic: The latest MacOS security update causes FF400 disabling.

The latest MacOS 2020-005 security update from September 24
causes FF400 disabling.
MacOS 10.14.6 did not recognize my FF400 after automatically installing the security update - the red HOST light is on. I reinstalled the system from a time machine backup, and the FF400 worked fine. A few days later, on October 1, Apple released an additional MacOS update, and after installing the FF400 did not work again. I rolled back to the older system. I have already disabled all auto-updates of the system. Today I saw that RME has released the latest drivers for USB and HDSP. Are you planning to release something for Firewire?

Re: The latest MacOS security update causes FF400 disabling.

Sure, but unless your computer doesn't have internet access while installing the driver there is no improvement. There are several possible reasons why it won't work, like FireWire disabled, or the stuff described here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

It's not a general problem, my Mac Mini with FF400 continued to work on both updates.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC for good news

The latest sec update (which one?) got pulled as it caused CPU spamming on some machines. Hardly noticeable on 16 GB+ ram SSD machines. A killer on 8 GB or less Macs, especially those that still run a harddisk.

It got reissued shortly after, so the question is, "Which one did you install?"

The problem seemed to be the Safari 14 update, icw the sec update. And the bug was a discrepancy between the order the command line reads file lists and how a gui tool showed it. That made some machines first install Safari and then the sec update. That turned some daemon into a spammer, hogging memory and writing lots of lines in the log.

It's the first time I heard an Apple person stating that current MB Pros and MB Airs are "woefully underpowered".

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...