Topic: Can't make my Bass/Treble encoder work

Hello everyone,

I bought a second hand RME ADI-2 DAC FS off of Reddit, in perfect condition.

The unit seems to work completely fine - the encoders work fine when in need of making changes in the settings, etc. However, I cannot make "on-demand" changes of Bass & Treble by turning them around. I went to I/O -> Phones -> Bass/Treble and I have "B/T Enable" on, but it still doesn't work. I've went through the manual but I can't find the answer. Can someone help? smile  Besides that, the unit is in flawless condition.

Thanks!

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-01 01:01:46)

Re: Can't make my Bass/Treble encoder work

Have you plugged in headphones?
Line, Phones and IEM use separate settings, see manual page 20.

If you see the Analyser window with title line "Phones", bass/treble controls should work (if enabled for Phones in I/O menu).

If not, I suggest a factory reset or full reset (manual page 11), don't forget to unplug the USB cable for this.

Plus -  installing the latest firmware, always a good move with RME products.

The headphones are plugged. The parametric EQ is doing is thing when I change values.
I am not sure where to look for the "Analyzer" window. I see, however that in I/O -> phones the option is activated. I also can see the encoder "hardware" is working, given that it allows me to navigate the different options.
Unfortunately though, the factory reset option didn't work.
Any other thoughts?

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-01 02:29:25)

seis66 wrote:

I am not sure where to look for the "Analyzer" window.

(Spectrum) Analyser window is the main window that's visible at normal playback.
Looks like manual page 29, chapter 15.2, with the title line saying "Phones" if headphones are plugged in.
Only in this window Encoder 1/2 Bass/Treble Controls are active.

BTW: does changing bass/treble setting in the I/O menu change the sound output?

seis66 wrote:

Any other thoughts?

Firmware update.

Something new: the encoders work without a problem if the USB cable is not plugged to my mac (Macbook Air 13" from 2015)

KaiS wrote:
seis66 wrote:

I am not sure where to look for the "Analyzer" window.

(Spectrum) Analyser window is the main window that's visible at normal playback.
Looks like manual page 29, chapter 15.2, with the title line saying "Phones" if headphones are plugged in.
Only in this window Encoder 1/2 Bass/Treble Controls are active.

BTW: does changing bass/treble setting in the I/O menu change the sound output?

seis66 wrote:

Any other thoughts?

Firmware update.

The title says phones there in the Analyzer.

It doesn't make ant changes if I make changes in the bass/treble settings, but it does on the EQ.

I did the firmware update to v.34 and still the problem persists.

You noticed the sample rate display in the lower right? If B/T don't work you most probably operate at 768 kHz (or convert everything to DSD, but then PEQ also wouldn't work). This restriction is clearly mentioned in the manual.

@KaiS: B/T is available in all Top screens (Dark Volume, Dark Volume details, Status Overview, Analyzer, Global Level Meter)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for taking a minute to reply, Matthias. I've been going all over the manual to find out where to change this, but  I was not able to find it.
You are right, it is operating at 768 kHz. How can I change this?

MC wrote:

You noticed the sample rate display in the lower right? If B/T don't work you most probably operate at 768 kHz (or convert everything to DSD, but then PEQ also wouldn't work). This restriction is clearly mentioned in the manual.

@KaiS: B/T is available in all Top screens (Dark Volume, Dark Volume details, Status Overview, Analyzer, Global Level Meter)

where can I read a bit more about this?

Chapter 8.8 DSP Limitations.

You set the sample rate as described in the manual chapter 24.1, Configuring the ADI-2 DAC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Do a factory reset