Topic: Please can someone help me understand WDM Devices?

Hi All,

I'm really struggling to understand the relationship between input and outputs in WDM device configuration. I have my monitors connected to outputs 3/4 on my UFXII. I have a mic connected to analogue input 9. If I want to make the Mic available to Windows, I check the checkbox in the WDM configuration and all is good.

What I don't understand is why I now have analogue 9 + 10 as the only outputs available in windows. Why is there a relationship between inputs 9+10 and output 9+10. Can't I make outputs 3/4 available independently from what inputs are being used?

Also, it is possible to mix (say) a mic plugged into input 9 with AES inputs on channels 13/14 and make that mix available to windows?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb, I just don't get the WDM setup.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-10-13 21:01:18)

Re: Please can someone help me understand WDM Devices?

Windows does not support ASIO.
In the RME driver settings dialog you create Windows compatible devices, as needed,
which you will find then in the Windows sound settings.

See the schematics in my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1988-TotalMix-Diagram-Overview-Signal-Flow-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@ramses Thanks for the reply.

I understand I'm not using ASIO,

I don't understand why there is a relationship between using input 9 and outputs 9/10 in when using WDM? Why are they not independent?

I think I figured out mixing the mic and AES inputs using loopback on a ADAT channel, but I could not get the ADAT input mix to route to the headphones or main monitors. Is this possible?

Thanks Lightbox. I'm pretty much doing what you suggested. Is there any way to monitor the mix of the loopback in Totalmix?

Cue button on the Loopback output channel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Oscar 2020-10-14 23:13:35)

Ah yes! I think I'm starting to understand :-) Thanks guys