Topic: Is it possible to slowly migrate to AVB keeping current advantages?

Hi,

I have a Fireface UFX (first gen.). I am about to upgrade the number of micpres and as usual there are plenty of different routes to take.

The 12 mic looks promising.

The UFX has two adat in and eight balanced line inputs (and AES/EBU + and 4 micpres).

- I would like to keep using the built in UFX effects while tracking.
- Thus I don’t want to go from the UFX to avb digiface.
- I would love to connect the 12 mic via ethernet cable to my UFX (not possible, obviously!)
- I think the 12 mic + the M-1610 PRO would take me a long way, but that’s a pretty big investment.
    - 12 mic --avb—> M-1610 (2adat@96khz + 8 line outputs )—> UFX (2adat@96khz + 8 line inputs)

One step in the AVB direction (but without being able to use avb) would be to get the 12 mic and then connect the two adat’s of the 12 mic to the UFX and get 8 new pres at 96kHZ.

But that’s kind of boring....

- Is there alternatives to the above?
- Do I need a separate AVB-switch to be able to use avb at all? And is such a switch something not provided by RME?
- Are new units about to arrive to bridge the gap? :-)
- Could you kind folks at RME come up with an overview of this technology vs your new and old products and put it on your site, because I think the confusion is kind of huge even among people with decades in the audio recording domain and software professionals (like myself). Shouldn’t be to hard to produce I think.

Cheers
Lars

Re: Is it possible to slowly migrate to AVB keeping current advantages?

You have to consider if you need a networking protocol. Networking is needed if you have several devices divided over different spaces and/or if you want to use a large amount of channels.

To migrate slowly to AVB it would be possible if you first start with MADI. So a UFX+ (instead of UFX) and a 12Mic would be a good start. Then the migration to AVB is very simple. Because all our AVB devices have MADI and AVB.

You can connect two AVB devices directly without a switch. If you have more than 2 devices you need an AVB switch.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Yes, thanks, that's some good points!

An upgrade to UFX+ might be an option, but it is not hard to imagine that there will be an UFXavb, the question is how long we have to wait (or if my imagination is to vivid).

An AVB switch is not something RME provides? Is there recommendations of which brand(s) to use?

Lars

Recommended AVB switches are from Luminex (Gigacore), Cisco, Extreme Networks. The cheaper ones; Presonus, Motu

Regards,
Audio AG Support

I look forward with great anticipation to a future RME product providing a PCIe or Thunderbolt 3 audio interface, with full TotalmixFX (with the effects) with maybe 4 line-ins, 4 line-outs, headphone outputs, and AVB. This could be similar to the HDSPe MADI FX evolved to AVB, ie HDSPe AVB FX.

This interface would be ideal for a small live venue where there is also a desire to get high quality recordings of live performances. All of the stage mic and line I/O would be handled by 12Mic, M-32 AD, and M-32 DA units. The connection from the stage to the FOH mixing/recording would be AVB (Cat-5 only -- no analog signals).

It seems to me that AVB will ultimate render ADAT and MADI obsolete since it provides higher channel count, lower latency, deterministic delay, and eventually lower cost.