Topic: Adi-2fs connected to Adi-2pro fs via AES

The Adi-2fs will not allow some sample rates especially 192 when connected with AES. Same problem in Master and Slave mode.  spdif works fine at any sample rate and mode.
Is there an know issues with this?
Thanks

Re: Adi-2fs connected to Adi-2pro fs via AES

What is your AES source?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Adi-2fs connected to Adi-2Pro fs using AES
No matter which device is set to master at 192khz setting Adi-2Pro fs complains about  “no valid Audio at AES input”

To clarify:
The actual message at the Adi-2Pro fs is
“Non-Audio signal at AES input”
It works at times, but then then intermittent the signal crackles and the message appears

ADI-2 FS does not have a XLR AES output. Which means that most probably your adapter cable RCA to XLR is not soldered correctly. Or you forgot to change the output to DIG OUT PRO?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

All soldered correctly: xlr pin 2 to rca tip, xlr pin 3 to rca sleeve, pin 1 not connected
I also soldered a rca to db9 connector cable using pin 4&5 and 8&9 on the db9 for the in and output.
Everything works great up to 176khz
At 192khz, there is a crackling noise and the  Adi-2Pro displays the message “non audio signal at aes input”
DIG OUT set to PRO
Spdif works fine.

Please try to connect pin 1 of the XLR to Ground of the RCA. In some cases that helped. You just need to connect the shield of the cable to the RCA ground temporarily to see if that changes something.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-14 13:05:33)

If I get this right:
The unbalanced ADI-2FS's SPDIF OUTPUT is connected to the balanced ADI-2 Pro's AES INPUT?

I tried with another sources, to make use of the AES's galvanic isolation.
Didn't work at any samplerate.
The 0.5V SPDIF level is simply too low to drive my ADI-2 Pro's AES here.

I even connected an oscilloscope to check the level:
Due to the 110 Ohms AES termination (instead of SPDIF 75 Ohms) the SPDIF delivered even higher ca. 0.7V.

So my ADI-2 Pro's AES input works within specs, demanding 1V (manual page 67) - unfortunately, as lots of AES inputs works from 0.3V up.

I didn't take the effort to wind a little transformer (not a big deal), but switched to TOSLINK optical.
I have no music higher than 96 kHz samplerate.

When set to PRO the ADI-2 FS spits out 1.2 V as specced in the manual. That must (and does) work with the ADI-2 Pro input as it is usually much more sensitive (< 0.5 V).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Connecting pin 3 to pin 1 on the XLR does improve the signal but does not entirely eliminate the dropping of the signal at 192khz setting.
The problem is not consistently repeatable.
I have not noticed any problems at 96 kHz which is sufficient for my needs.
Yet still, I would like to find out where the problem lies.
Thanks

11 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-14 22:42:20)

loentz wrote:

Connecting pin 3 to pin 1 on the XLR does improve the signal but does not entirely eliminate the dropping of the signal at 192khz setting.
The problem is not consistently repeatable.
I have not noticed any problems at 96 kHz which is sufficient for my needs.
Yet still, I would like to find out where the problem lies.
Thanks

Might be cable lenght and type.

SPDIF was designed for very short (~1m !) consumer interconnects.
Practical limit for 44.1 kHz with misused Hifi-audio cables is usually around 5m.
Higher samplerates shorten the lengt proportionally.

For very long SPDIF interconnects I do use low loss satellite antenna cables with ~25pF/m capacitance.
Can reach far beyond specs with these - actually never reached the limit, even with 25m @ 48 kHz.

BTW: it doesn't help to buy super-expensive blah-blah cables.
It's only the technical parameters that count here.