Topic: Fireface 800 MacBook Pro 16 MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina firmware issue

Hello,

I have a new MacBook Pro 16 (coming from an old MacBook from 2008) and I am struggling getting my FF800 work with it though I read it should still be working under Catalina (and Logic Pro X).

I have installed the latest drivers I found here (and it seems ok) but when I open Logic there is a message popping up saying:

"RME Fireface Hardware Mismatch! This driver version requires a new interface firmware for enhanced functionality. Please update the latest Flash Update Tool from RME's website to update your Fireface."

What I found on the RME website (Fireface Flash Update 171 277) will not install. It goes:

“Fireface Flash” needs to be updated.
The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information.

Any idea what I should do from here ?

Thank you!!

Efferdaihe

Re: Fireface 800 MacBook Pro 16 MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina firmware issue

If I go to https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html and select Fireface 800 > Mac > Flash Update it says "Compatible up to 10.14 macOS Mojave", so I guess that indeed means that tool won't work on macOS 10.15 Catalina. It's probably a 32-bit tool (it was released in 2012) and Catalina is the first version of macOS that no longer supports 32-bit applications.

If you still have your old MacBook, you could run the flash tool on that machine to update your Fireface 800? Or maybe you know somebody else with a Mac running 10.14 or older?

If you don't, it might be possible to also install a copy of 10.14 Mojave on that new MacBook using this method (I used this to have both Mojave and Catalina on my 2016 MacBook Pro): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891 Although it could be that your new MacBook pro 16" is actually too new to be supported by macOS 10.14 Mojave, since it came out after 10.14.

Re: Fireface 800 MacBook Pro 16 MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina firmware issue

Hi there!
I still had my old Mac and did what you suggested and it worked very well! So thank you very VERY much!! :-)
Have a great weekend!
Cheers!

Efferdaihe