Topic: Feature request- more I/O in control room

I have been a long time RME user on and off for the past couple of decades. I just bought a new UFX+ and I really like it. I'm digging into Totalmix for the first time and see it coming very close to being able to do something I wouldn't have previously thought of...replace my Crane Song Avocet!

My feature request is: can we get at least one more speaker out (speaker C and maybe D?) and one or more auxiliary inputs in the control room section?

This combined with the ARC USB and we get the best of all worlds for a monitor controller with fewer connections in the analog path and many of the programable features in Totalmix that would be hard to match in a monitor controller. We could also choose a converter to scale with our budget. As it is, Totalmix can do just about anything in this regard now but requires multiple clicks and programming that could be bypassed with a control room expansion of this sort, making it practical.

Dean

2 (edited by hardyroede 2020-10-19 23:05:35)

Re: Feature request- more I/O in control room

deanr wrote:

My feature request is: can we get at least one more speaker out (speaker C and maybe D?) and one or more auxiliary inputs in the control room section?

Don't know it it fits your bill exactly, but I have assigned two alternative monitor outs in our setup as "Phones 3" and "Phones 4" in the Control Room section. This will not do the same things as an assigned "Speaker B" out (like muting the Main Out when Speaker B is engaged or linking volumes when the "Link" button on Speaker B is engaged) but nonetheless: it groups them neatly with the actual Phones and Main outs, they can be used as Talkback and as Solo / PFL destinations if needed, and their volumes are very easily controllable via an ARC USB remote if you assign physical buttons to "Volume Phones 3" and "Volume Phones 4" in the ARC settings.

Regarding Aux inputs: are you aware of the "Ext. Input" feature, which allows for an easy routing of any input (analog, ADAT, MADI) straight to your Main Out when engaged?

Best, Hardy

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

3 (edited by deanr 2020-10-20 20:48:37)

Re: Feature request- more I/O in control room

Thanks for the response.

I have done exactly what you are describing with headphones 3+4 in the control room, using mute groups to switch with the ARC. This part works well except the lights on the ARC show what is muted rather than on...unintuitive but I can get used to it. And as you point out some functions like Mono are not available beyond the 1st two sets of speakers.

I am using a fader group for all 4 speaker outs so speaker selection doesn't require another click to choose volume control. It also behaves like a regular controller this way.

I am using Ext. Input as a second input. I use snapshots to help with routing to get around there being only one Ext. Input, but it's a little clunky. 

It's possible to to do everything I would want using Totalmix but without more control room ins and outs, some extra clicking is required. It would be amazing to have all of it within the control room using the ARC, not needing the mouse.