Topic: UFX+ Driver install

I have a UFX+ that I have been using via USB - but I've been experiencing dropouts in the audio when I plug in my Behringer  X-Touch via USB.
So I want to use the UFX+ via Thunderbolt.
When I install the Thunderbolt driver after clicking the "Next" button the install screen immediately jumps to finish.  And there is no visual representation of the install in the Windows "Programs and Features list.
I'm running Windows 10 64 bit.  The mother board is an ASUS X99-AII with an ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.  I'm using a Star Tech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter to connect thge UFX+ to the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.
The "HOST" light on the UFX+  is glowing "white".
So, what do I need to do to get my rig operational?

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

Re: UFX+ Driver install

You can go to your Windows directory and check the file dpinst.log. It will contain the error why the installation was aborted.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can go to your Windows directory and check the file dpinst.log. It will contain the error why the installation was aborted.

Could you give some instructions on how to check that log...?

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

4 (edited by gimme8donuts 2017-01-19 08:51:57)

Hi MC,
Almost same worry as ruffrider, I know the install is quite fast so it didn't bug me, however when I plug in the thunderbolt cable nothing happens?

dpinst.log doesn't seem much different than when I installed USB version (i uninstalled first when installing tb version), I also installed latest version of DIGIcheck before proceeding to install.

As I'm not very familiar with TB, I searched quite some time to come to the conclusion there is no difference in cable between TB1 and TB2 so I just bought a TB cable (Moshi). I also used a usb-c to TB2 convertor (the one from Apple) then connected to a pci-e expansion card with usb-c.

Any idea what the issue might be? I undortunately can't test the usb-c port with any other device, however I know electricity goes through as I saw some light sparkle at end of the cable.

Thanks!

The log from dpinst.log is below:

INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   01/19/2017 13:37:06
INFO:   Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO:   Version: 6.0.6000
INFO:   Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO:   Service Pack: 0.0
INFO:   Suite: 0x0300, Product Type: 1
INFO:   Architecture: AMD64.
INFO:   Interactive Windows Station
INFO:   Command Line: 'C:\Users\maomi\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\dpinst64.exe'
INFO:   DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   Current working directory: 'C:\Users\maomi\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   Running on path 'C:\Users\maomi\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   User UI Language is 0x409.
INFO:   Install option set: Force install if driver is not better.
INFO:   Install option set: uninstall will be set to delete driver binaries.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'C:\Users\maomi\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\rme_pcie.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'c:\users\maomi\appdata\local\temp\rme\rme_pcie.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
SUCCESS:c:\users\maomi\appdata\local\temp\rme\rme_pcie.inf is preinstalled.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageGetPathW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
INFO:   Installing INF file 'c:\users\maomi\appdata\local\temp\rme\rme_pcie.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO:   Looking for Model Section [Devices.NTAMD64]...
INFO:   No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\rme_pcie.inf_amd64_67f583bbd6b980b5\rme_pcie.inf" on the Machine.
INFO:   No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\rme_pcie.inf_amd64_67f583bbd6b980b5\rme_pcie.inf'.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0xE000020B)
INFO:   No matching device was found for 'c:\users\maomi\appdata\local\temp\rme\rme_pcie.inf'. Driver will be installed when plugged in.
INFO:   Created entry in Add or Remove Programs for 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\rme_pcie.inf_amd64_67f583bbd6b980b5\rme_pcie.inf'.
INFO:   Returning with code 0x100

5 (edited by Grado 2017-01-19 11:09:59)

Ruffrider,

I have exactly the same hardware setup as you and can report that the UFX+ is working exceptionally well. I suspect your problem has to do with setting the correct motherboard BIOS settings for the Thunderbolt Ex3 card ... you have to proactively specify which PCIe slot it is installed in (once in the BIOS). Unfortunately, it isn't plug and play!! Depending on your knowledge of PC BIOS? this may well be a daunting task.

The bottom line is this: the motherboard setting will default to one of 4 options (give or take) . If you can, you need to move the EX3 card to the different slots one at a time ... now this may mess up your existing PCIe card arrangement. One of them will work. You can then put your existing PCIe cards back in the motherboard. You will also need to turn the TB option on from within the BIOS. Finally, did you connect the cable from the EX3 card to the motherboard connector?

Grado

The Apple adapter is not known to work under Windows at this time. I would think the Startech one would be a better choice, but can't guarantee that this will already solve your problem.

Is the UFX+ set to Interface Mode Auto? You could try to force TB there. Also switching the UFX+ off/on after being plugged might cause detection.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Grado wrote:

Ruffrider,

I have exactly the same hardware setup as you and can report that the UFX+ is working exceptionally well. I suspect your problem has to do with setting the correct motherboard BIOS settings for the Thunderbolt Ex3 card ... you have to proactively specify which PCIe slot it is installed in (once in the BIOS). Unfortunately, it isn't plug and play!! Depending on your knowledge of PC BIOS? this may well be a daunting task.

The bottom line is this: the motherboard setting will default to one of 4 options (give or take) . If you can, you need to move the EX3 card to the different slots one at a time ... now this may mess up your existing PCIe card arrangement. One of them will work. You can then put your existing PCIe cards back in the motherboard. You will also need to turn the TB option on from within the BIOS. Finally, did you connect the cable from the EX3 card to the motherboard connector?

Grado

Thanks for the reply Grado;
My computer is from ADK Audio and they were on the phone with me setting the BIOS but we still could not get the system functioning.
There is possibly a problem with my ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card - It does not show up anywhere in the Windows Device Manager.
I don't know if is normal for the card not to show up in the Device Manager but I spoke to ASUS support about the problem and they are offering to send out a replacement card but it's up to ADK to get the new card because they were the original customer.  So, now I am waiting on ADK and I haven't heard from ADK since I told them that ASUS is offering a replacement card. 
So, I'm stuck for the time being.

8 (edited by RuffRider 2017-01-24 22:53:07)

Grado wrote:

Ruffrider,

Grado

I successfully got my Thunderbolt card functioning.  All I had to do was move the card to PCI_SLOT 3 and set the BIOS to match that slot...

This is an upgrade I hope to make soon, adding TB to Asus X99 Sabertooth.

Has anyone tried the earlier Asus TB card with TB2?  They're still available cheap.

RuffRider wrote:
Grado wrote:

Ruffrider,

Grado

I successfully got my Thunderbolt card functioning.  All I had to do was move the card to PCI_SLOT 3 and set the BIOS to match that slot...

Hello RiffRider,

I have exact same config ("I'm running Windows 10 64 bit.  The mother board is an ASUS X99-AII with an ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.  I'm using a Star Tech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter to connect thge UFX+ to the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.")

But in the bios I can not find the thunderbolt option. I have the latest firmware.
How can I set It in the Bios?
Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Gabó

11 (edited by RuffRider 2017-02-25 18:40:26)

gabo wrote:
RuffRider wrote:
Grado wrote:

Ruffrider,

Grado

Hello RiffRider,

I have exact same config ("I'm running Windows 10 64 bit.  The mother board is an ASUS X99-AII with an ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.  I'm using a Star Tech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter to connect thge UFX+ to the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card.")

But in the bios I can not find the thunderbolt option. I have the latest firmware.
How can I set It in the Bios?
Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Gabó

I'll try to explain how I set mine...
Firstly enter the BIOS setting by pushing "Delete" or "F2" while the computer is starting.
On the bottom right side of the screen you need to click on "Advanced Mode"
Once you are in Advanced Mode - near the top center of the screen you will need to click on "Advanced".
Next after clicking on Advanced there will be a list of items on the left side - go to the bottom of that list and click on "Intel(R)Thunderbolt
Now you will see a list on the left side of the screen dealing with all things "Thunderbolt".
Click "On" for all these items going down the list until you get down to "AIC Location Group" (This is where you match the settings to the PCI slot). you have your Thunderbolt card mounted in.
Go to the right side of the screen on this AIC Location Group - click on the "down arrow" and choose "CPU0 NB PCIE Slot".
Now go back to the left side of the screen and under the ACI Location Group will be "ACI Location"
Now on the right side of the screen for ACI Location is where you match the setting for whatever slot you have mounted your card.
(In my case I'm using "NB PCIE X16_3")
On the ASUS mother board they don't count strait across the PCI slots - the count the PCIE 16 slots separate from the short PCI slots.
You can look at the diagram in the ASUS manual to see how they label the slots.

If you feel like you screwed something up you can exit the BIOS setting without saving the changes you have made - (take your time) - you will figure it out.

12 (edited by RuffRider 2017-02-28 04:58:58)

gabo - After getting the card slot set you still ned to get the Thunderbolt setting functioning in your system.
Once a Thunderbolt connection is made your computer will receive the RME driver - you may have to restart your computer a few times to get things flowing and the Thunderbolt software may need some setting adjusted.
When the Host light on the UFX+ IS "White" you have a Thunderbolt connection.

RuffRider wrote:

gabo - After getting the card slot set you still ned to get the Thunderbolt setting functioning in your system.
Once a Thunderbolt connection is made your computer will receive the RME driver - you may have to restart your computer a few times to get thing flowing and the Thunderbolt software may need so setting adjusted.
When the Host light on the UFX+ IS "White" you have a Thunderbolt connection.

Thank you for your help!
It is working!

14 (edited by knuckle47 2017-03-02 04:10:34)

I am sorry to ask this question but they always told me there are no stupid questions

I'm trying to have all the necessary components here and available when I finally get to power up the UFX+.  Using a new z270 Asus motherboard, thunderbolt ex3 card and my new cable fits the UFX+ thunderbolt port but I'm not sure what will show up on the Thunderbolt EX3 card despite hours of reading, YouTube and stretching photos of the ports to see what fits where.  At this point it appears the star tech adapter for t3 to t2 will be needed to complete the connections...can this be confirmed by someone with more knowledge of this?

The terminology of each of these fittings has gotten me completely lost

Thanks very much

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

15 (edited by ramses 2017-03-02 07:11:30)

Wikipedia tells in the 1st 2 sentences:

"Thunderbolt is the brand name of a hardware interface developed by Intel that allows the connection of external peripherals to a computer. Thunderbolt 1 and 2 use the same connector as Mini DisplayPort (MDP), whereas Thunderbolt 3 uses USB Type-C."

And those 2 port types look differently. So you need an adapter.

I have UFX+ but no mainboard supporting thunderbolt .. I was already intensively looking.

This supports the theory, if you know already the result, then its much easier to find the right information wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the help Ramses...While I have read so many things on this, they sure start to blend together in my head.  Never considered Wikipedia. I only know that things like this will be occurring more frequently, I am no longer a youthful enthusiast who can absorb things like a sponge, but I am surrounded by technology that developed over my 40 year absence from the music world  yet it that intrigues me so much. I've been learning Cubase since SL2...

That EX3 card should be arriving today. Beyond that I should be able to follow the detailed posts I've read here

Stay tuned for the time I might ask you for directions about the on / off switch.

By The Way:  I thoroughly enjoyed your post on guitar rig and the UFX+  Switched to the blog to read more on it but I am limited to only English. My absolute best friend in the world was from Freudenstadt and could've detailed every word.  Unfortunately the cigarettes got him.  Your diagrams explain a lot however...Again, many thanks

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

knuckle47 wrote:

Thank you for the help Ramses...While I have read so many things on this, they sure start to blend together in my head.  Never considered Wikipedia. I only know that things like this will be occurring more frequently, I am no longer a youthful enthusiast who can absorb things like a sponge, but I am surrounded by technology that developed over my 40 year absence from the music world  yet it that intrigues me so much. I've been learning Cubase since SL2...

That EX3 card should be arriving today. Beyond that I should be able to follow the detailed posts I've read here

Stay tuned for the time I might ask you for directions about the on / off switch.

By The Way:  I thoroughly enjoyed your post on guitar rig and the UFX+  Switched to the blog to read more on it but I am limited to only English. My absolute best friend in the world was from Freudenstadt and could've detailed every word.  Unfortunately the cigarettes got him.  Your diagrams explain a lot however...Again, many thanks

Thanks that you liked my article. Not sure whether I find the patience to translate these articles in the future.

The basic idea behind it was simply to create a parallel effect loop with the UFX+ for an amp which has only a serial loop, so that you can retain the punch of the signal, which usually gets lost inside of a serial loop.

As with UFX+ / TotalMix I can route any to any it was quite easy and straightforward to achieve.

Now I can
- record the guitar on an instrument input (and replay with Durec for easy reamping)
- send the signal via analog out to the amps input (can do some trickeries with line output level to make guitar signal appear a little hotter)
- then I record from Effect Send and can directly send this signal to the Amps Effect Return, but also to the multi effects.
- From the multieffects I route the signal then additionally to Effect Return on the amp

The nice thing with the Lexicon MX200 is now, that I can use the Input Gain knob to determine how much I want to hear from the 100% wet effects.

The bad thing is, it doesnt support "kill dry". So if I mute one or two of the effect processors the overall signal is out of phase and doesnt sound good.

Ideal would be one of the bigger Lexicons which support kill dry ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Grado wrote:

Ruffrider,

Grado

I'm just wondering if you can post your BIOS config. I have same board (ASUS Deluxe II) but I've been having lots of crashes lately while even playing audio and have to do hard reboot because windows can't collect info from blue screen.
I've been using my TB3 card on pci 5 but not sure if my TB3 card got broken. Tried different pci ports, same results.

If I don't switch on my UFX+ computer never crashes.

Thanks

RuffRider wrote:

Hey there, understand this post is old but I was wondering if you got this working via the Startech adapter or the Apple adapter. I plan on using a very similar setup, but would prefer to use the Apple adapter if it works because it has a smaller profile.

2x MADI FX | Digiface Dante | Fireface UFX+ | ADI-192 DD

Ninbura wrote:
RuffRider wrote:

Hey there, understand this post is old but I was wondering if you got this working via the Startech adapter or the Apple adapter. I plan on using a very similar setup, but would prefer to use the Apple adapter if it works because it has a smaller profile.

Hi,

Yes I got it working with Startech adapter. It works perfect.

alfonsoenciso wrote:
Ninbura wrote:
RuffRider wrote:

Hi,

Yes I got it working with Startech adapter. It works perfect.

I appreciate the input, but I was actually trying to see what OP (RuffRider) ended up using. Sounds like he was trying to get it to work with the Apple adapter at one point, but then once he finally did get it working he didn't distinguish which adapter he was using.

2x MADI FX | Digiface Dante | Fireface UFX+ | ADI-192 DD