Topic: RME UFX 2 unknown device problem (Windows)

Hi

Ive started to have a problem with my music PC and the RME UFX 2. Im running windows 7 64bit on a Asus P8P67 3.1 board- I will be getting a new computer soon!

Sometimes when I turn on the computer the UFX2 doesn't seem to be connected and shows up as an unknown device in the device manager- total mix wont start. The workaround is to turn the UFX2 off and on again and it usually works fine after that although sometimes I get the “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43).” message too.

Any ideas on why this is happening? I get the impression that its a windows problem but I can't seem to work out how to fix it. Ive tried using different ports (USB3 and 2) and changed the cable and reinstalled the drivers and updated the firmware but it still seems to be happening. My computer mostly stays offline but had the latest round of windows updates installed.

The only other thing is that I sometimes use it with a macbook pro for mobile recording where it works fine- is switching between mac and PC an issue here?

And help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Phil

Re: RME UFX 2 unknown device problem (Windows)

Hello!

pmcbride10 wrote:

The only other thing is that I sometimes use it with a macbook pro for mobile recording where it works fine- is switching between mac and PC an issue here?

It's not an issue per se, but the UFX 2 changes modes from PC to Mac or CC Mode. So you need to change that at the front panel, if it's not recognized automatically!

So if it's in CC Mode, here's how to change it :

The Class Compliant mode can be activated and deactivated directly at the unit, as long as it is not  connected  to  a  Mac  or  PC:  SETUP/REV,  Options,  Hardware/Diagnosis,  Interface  Mode,  CC.

If you want to learn more, check from page 92 and on, in the manual

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hi thanks- it seems that the UFX 2 is definitely not in CC mode and it still does load up as 'unknown device' until I turn it off and on again. Any other ideas?

Hi,

I have this same problem recently
"Sometimes when I turn on the computer the UFX2 doesn't seem to be connected and shows up as an unknown device in the device manager- total mix wont start. The workaround is to turn the UFX2 off and on again and it usually works fine after that although sometimes I get the “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43).” message too."

But I'm not able to undo this. My fire face 800 and windows computer are old but it is the only thing I do with this computer and it's never connected to the internet. It does everything but I can't record audio.
Any ideas?