Topic: HDSP 9652 PCI without included expansion card ?

Hi there

Will the "main-card" work without the standard included expansion card in case I don't need the functions
from the any connectors placed on the expansion ??? ,.... (like if I just need adat 1 + 2 and no midi at all)

(reason I ask is that I have been offered a cheap one from somebody who lost the expansion-card)

Thanks for any help !

Henrik

Re: HDSP 9652 PCI without included expansion card ?

Yes, you can install the main card only. But you lose 1 ADAT I/O, Word Clock and MIDI.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Rather than create a new topic, I thought I'd try here:

I just ordered a PCI (not PCIe) HDSP 9652 card, and I really need a Word Clock function in a convenient manner to run the twin Audient ASP800's.   

I can easily get the Word Clock Expansion Card from a HDSP MADI card (rev 1.1.2) that only has the BNC connectors, for WC, and the MIDI breakout cable but no additional ADAT pair.  I'm wondering if this will work with the PCI HDSP 9652 card. 

Any ideas?

MediaGary wrote:

Rather than create a new topic, I thought I'd try here:

I just ordered a PCI (not PCIe) HDSP 9652 card, and I really need a Word Clock function in a convenient manner to run the twin Audient ASP800's.   

I can easily get the Word Clock Expansion Card from a HDSP MADI card (rev 1.1.2) that only has the BNC connectors, for WC, and the MIDI breakout cable but no additional ADAT pair.  I'm wondering if this will work with the PCI HDSP 9652 card. 

Any ideas?

If you ordered new aren't both cards included?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

If you ordered new aren't both cards included?

No, I didn't order a new 9652. It's an eBay purchase, and sadly it doesn't come with the WC/ADAT expansion. 

There's a long backstory about how I'm trying *not* to buy an RME ADI-648, which is the real solution to my needs.  For now, if I can get this PCI 9652 to work alongside of my HDSPe MADI ExpressCard 34, then it'll fulfill the requirement.  The essential issue at the moment is that the two ASP800's ADAT connections (16-channels) have to be word-clocked (WC) together.

The best way would be to add an RME ADI-648 on the MADI coax-out of the DN32-MADI of my Midas M32.  The ADI-648 would supply the WC for the ASP800's, and also slipstream 16 channels of ADAT onto the MADI link going into the DAW computer. For for far less money, I could go the long way around and have an ADAT-out of the 9652 drive an Echo Audio Pre8, which in turn would have its WC drive the two ASP800's, and take the two ADAT-out to ADAT-in on the 9652.

In the middle, for just a few dollars beyond the 9652 purchase, I can have a WC connection of the 9652 drive the ASP800's. There's an expansion card from an RME MADI PCI card for sale, and if it works, that would be a victory.

Good thinking

Vincent, Amsterdam

I'm bumping this question in the hopes that perhaps @MC will see it.

Since my last append, I've ordered an Aardvark Sync DA that can generate word-clock (WC) from the AES/EBU port of my Midas M32. 

Therefore, the RME MADI ExpressCard 34 can be the master clock to the DN32-MADI of the M32, the WC generated from the M32-Aardvark connection can run the two Audient ASP800 preamps, and the ADAT-out from the ASP800 can be the external clock for the HDSP 9652 PCI.  I think that solves the problem.  We'll see when the parts arrive.

This still leaves the somewhat more academic question of whether the WC Expansion Card from an HDSP MADI will work with the HDSP 9652.  It has the same 14-conductor ribbon cable connection as the proper WC/ADAT Expansion card for the 9652.

Any insights?

No, this won't work...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the info!

A necro-bump with an additional question:

How is it possible to buy an Expansion Card (only) for an RME HDSP 9652 card, and how much will it cost?

I think a complete SH hdsp9652 will be cheaper, if it is available separate at all, which I guess it's not. I got one for under 100€ recently.
PCI  is long dead so people don't expect good prices when they sell anymore. Even if it is RME

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks for the quick reply.  I must be shopping in the wrong places.  I never see HDSP 9652 cards offered for less than $200USD (165€).