Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS - Is this possible?

Hello! Is it possible to have the Line Out output level locked, while using the large encoder on the front of the ADI-2 DAC FS (or the remote control) to control the level of the Phones out only?

The ADI-2 DAC FS will be acting as a DAC, where the XLR Line Out is feeding a pair of powered studio monitors, the level of which controlled by the volume knob of my audio interface (connected to the ADI-2 via SPDIF input). I would like the large encoder on the front of the ADI-2 to adjust the level of my headphones only. Is this possible? I have tried a few different settings to no avail.

I'm coming from the Benchmark DAC-1, where this was possible.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

2 (edited by N00b 2020-10-23 08:36:27)

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS - Is this possible?

debolish wrote:

Hello! Is it possible to have the Line Out output level locked, while using the large encoder on the front of the ADI-2 DAC FS (or the remote control) to control the level of the Phones out only?

The ADI-2 DAC FS will be acting as a DAC, where the XLR Line Out is feeding a pair of powered studio monitors, the level of which controlled by the volume knob of my audio interface (connected to the ADI-2 via SPDIF input). I would like the large encoder on the front of the ADI-2 to adjust the level of my headphones only. Is this possible? I have tried a few different settings to no avail.

I'm coming from the Benchmark DAC-1, where this was possible.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Hi Debolish; no it's not possible on the DAC, because it only has one DAC chip. Please see the Holy Manual on page 38 (19.6 Using more than one Output).
The Benchmark is a different beast, because it has an analogue volume controller...

For multiple independant outputs levels, the Pro is the answer.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

Hi Debolish; no it's not possible on the DAC, because it only has one DAC chip. Please see the Holy Manual on page 38 (19.6 Using more than one Output).
The Benchmark is a different beast, because it has an analogue volume controller...

I did indeed read that, but was hoping I may have somehow missed something somewhere else. Haha.

Thanks again for your time.

debolish wrote:
N00b wrote:

I did indeed read that, but was hoping I may have somehow missed something somewhere else. Haha.

Thanks again for your time.

You are welcome, always happy to help (or to not really help in this case big_smile ).

Have a good week end.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

This thread is not clear enough worded and might confuse later readers. The answer to the OPs post would be YES, because usually Phones and rear output are not used simultaneously. Line out can be locked while Phones can stay unlocked - all settings are separate for all three outputs.

There is no mention here if the application requires an unusual simultaneous operation, which would then require an ADI-2 Pro. In contrast using studio monitors and phones is likely a 'one or the other' scenario.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by debolish 2020-10-28 14:01:05)

Separate level control of both studio monitors and phones simultaneously is the desired outcome, which is not possible, as clarified by both N00b and yourself MC. As I do not need the bells and whistles (nor the additional cost, haha) the Pro offers, I will lock the phones output and add an additional headphone amplifier to give myself the level control desired for my headphones.

MC wrote:

This thread is not clear enough worded and might confuse later readers. The answer to the OPs post would be YES, because usually Phones and rear output are not used simultaneously. Line out can be locked while Phones can stay unlocked - all settings are separate for all three outputs.

There is no mention here if the application requires an unusual simultaneous operation, which would then require an ADI-2 Pro. In contrast using studio monitors and phones is likely a 'one or the other' scenario.