Topic: Issues with Babyface Pro FS

Hello Everybody

First post here...but not the first RME product.

I am having sudden issues with my Babyface Pro FS with pops and at times strange behavior. By that I mean...I get pops with every movement within any of my DAWS...such as clicking on track items and even the space bar. Never had an issue before...and never had anything like it in the last 2 decades of using audio gear...so I am not sure what it could be.

No new installs besides a couple plugins...

I really do not believe it is a computer issue as I built the machine myself......and have been through the school of hard knocks in DAW building since Digi design 001...lol Of course it could be...but I have been through some situations with old school pro tools....we all know how it was. All clocked internal.

The other thing is my select and DIM buttons are stuck engaged it seems......and dont function correctly much of the time.

I picked up the BF to get a quality interface with the long admired RME drivers......but the pop sounds are driving me crazy.

I did put in an email to support as the buttons are defective....so maybe I have a possible hardware issue as well???? Anybody have this happen?

It has worked fine since June of this year until recently.....really no changes to my DAW.

2 (edited by Muller 2020-10-25 07:58:06)

Re: Issues with Babyface Pro FS

Really strange. What are the specs of your computer? What buffer size are you using ? Does the stuttering go away if you increase the buffer size?

In power management on your pc, is the slider set to performance or balanced? Moving the slider to performance got rid of my stuttering issue with all interfaces.

Not sure about the DIM issue though.

Can you change it in total mix ?

Muller wrote:

Really strange. What are the specs of your computer? What buffer size are you using ? Does the stuttering go away if you increase the buffer size?

In power management on your pc, is the slider set to performance or balanced? Moving the slider to performance got rid of my stuttering issue with all interfaces.

Not sure about the DIM issue though.

Can you change it in total mix ?

Thanks for the reply. My system is a Ryzen 9 3900X, 32g Ram, 2 tb NVMe M.2 drives.....windows 10. Seems to handle just as much if not more than my Intel I9 machine.

ALl tweaks done for audio. Power settings are all set to never turn off.

Buffers are changed through out with same issue.

Thing is....everything worked for months with no change.

Yes I can make changes in total mix....just the actual buttons are sketchy on the unit.

4 (edited by Muller 2020-10-26 16:53:38)

The never turn off is separate to the performance slider. On my PC if my power plan is set to balanced, I get crackles where the CPU clocks down to save power. If I set it to performance It stays at 4.1Ghz and I never have a crackle (i7 CPU).

Only the other thing to try is maybe updating chipset drivers for your motherboard or updating firmware on the device.

Worth a call to RME definitely to get a professional opinion.

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know if it really is a Babyface hardware issue, will be interesting to know.

On other interfaces I've heard issues with AMD CPU's but I'd imagine there really shouldn't be. I am swapping over to Ryzen in November too!

Muller wrote:

The never turn off is separate to the performance slider. On my PC if my power plan is set to balanced, I get crackles where the CPU clocks down to save power. If I set it to performance It stays at 4.1Ghz and I never have a crackle (i7 CPU).

Only the other thing to try is maybe updating chipset drivers for your motherboard or updating firmware on the device.

Worth a call to RME definitely to get a professional opinion.

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know if it really is a Babyface hardware issue, will be interesting to know.

On other interfaces I've heard issues with AMD CPU's but I'd imagine there really shouldn't be. I am swapping over to Ryzen in November too!

I recently built a new PC with AMD Ryzen 3960X and MSI TRX40 PRO WIFI motherboard and have had great performance with no issues with my RME gear attached via USB (ADI-2 PRO FS, and UCX). I originally had some blue screen in Windows 10 but they turned out to be due to Razor gaming mouse (once I replaced it with another mouse and uninstalled Razor drivers I have had no more issues).