Topic: How to Use External Effect in Total Mix?

I'm on a W10 computer, using Cubase and an RME Fireface UFX, and I want to use my Eventide Eclipse hardware effects unit as an external effect.

I've set up an effects send/return within Cubase for the Eclipse. It uses the Fireface's AES/EBU ports for the send and receive.

So far so good, but I can't figure out how to make it work. It seems there are various ways to route a signal into the Eclipse (I can see its meters move), but I'm pretty sure the effected signal is sometimes mixed with the dry signal, depending on where I set the fader positions. And when I tried to play the effected sound along with a VST playing drums, the drums were also effected. I want them to be dry.

I saw this in an earlier post:

"If you want to monitor only the effected signal, that is set up in TotalMix. Select your monitoring output submix in the bottom row, pull down the middle row (playback) fader with dry signal, and pull up the top row (input) fader with the effected sound."

When I do that I get an audio feedback loop.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: How to Use External Effect in Total Mix?

Set TotalMix into its default state and forget it. Send/Return is done  in Cubase alone as you already had it. You either set something in there not correctly or have the FX unit not set to 100% wet. TM FX will only complicate this kind of setup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Hangdog Cat 2020-10-28 00:01:33)

Re: How to Use External Effect in Total Mix?

I guess I still don't get it.

I have a Band Delays patch set up in the Eclipse, and it's 100% wet. If I make no changes in TM I don't hear the effect, even though I have a send (to the Eclipse effects track) set up on the audio track in Cubase, and the send is on and set to 0. The Send Gain and Return Gain of the Eclipse insert on the effects track are also at 0, and the effect is on. But the levels meter on the Eclipse does not show that it's receiving a signal.

So it seems to me I have to set the "default state" of TM to be such that the appropriate faders are sending to and receiving from the Eclipse. And that's what I don't get.

From that point on I would adjust the audio track's send to the desired level within Cubase.