1 (edited by user54 2020-10-31 19:17:43)

Topic: babyface, can i revert the firmware to earlier version.

hi all,

currently running the original babyface with latest drivers and firmware. as of a couple of firmware updates ago i started having probelms where windows (7 and 10) would stop recognising the device on startup. unplugging and replugging sorts it out but it never used to do this. nothing on the systems has changed. can i revert firmware? i have a copy of 203 which is pretty old. ideally would like to go back a couple of years with firmware.

EDIT: i've located firmware version 220. is it safe to flash it? unit currently has 225 in it.

gary.

Re: babyface, can i revert the firmware to earlier version.

You can revert firmware but it's not logical. This kind of error points to a different cause. Like unstable USB bus power, bad USB cable or bad USB chipset in use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok noted. I'll try reverting anyway first out of interest. everything else about my setup hasn't changed in maybe 5 years, so if it's cables, they've randomly failed. same with motherboard. the unit is powered with external supply rather than via USB due to long USB distance

currently I have a 5m active USB 2 extension, with 3m cable to the babyface. if I replace this what is theoretically better:

- 10m active USB 2.0 extension, with the short oem cable.

- 10m active USB 3.0 extension, with the short oem cable

- 10m active USB A to B single cable.

- or what I currently have, 5m active extension, 3m AB cable

cheers,

Gary.

Let me know how this goes!

I'm in the same situation as you, ~2012 Babyface, but Im not sure if I want to risk updating the firmware as Ive seen some people having issues with it.

Hope it works out for you!

just to follow up on this for anyone following this later.

flashing n older firmware worked fine. it helped a bit with the disconnects, especially on boot.

but it was getting a new active extension that did the trick tho. I got a 10m Ugreen USB3 active extension. this has 2 repeaters on it, where a lot of others only have one. then also a super short USB AB cable. running great.