Topic: HDSPe AIO Electric noise

Hi!

I recently got a Mackie HM-800 headphone amplifier and connected it to my AIO throught the headphone output of the BO9632XLRMKH cable.

Since now I've been connecting my headphones directly to that output and no issues, but now that I got the headphone amplifier I get an electrical noise from the system while listening throught it. It appears when I move the mouse or when oppening apps... No noise noticed from my speakers, only from the headphones connected to the Mackie HM-800.

I've read lots of post with similar problems with the HDSP series but I dont really know which is the real solution.

I tried different cables (TRS to dual TS) to connect the AIO to the HM-800, and even a different HM-800 module, but I got allways the same noise. Also tried the HM-800 in other computer whitout the AIO in the same room and the problem seems to disappear.

I've tried disconecting all the unnecesary USB gadgets and also the problem persist.

Is there anything to do?

Thankyou!

Re: HDSPe AIO Electric noise

You need to break the shield on one end of the balanced cables between the AIO and the HM-800 or apply some other kind of ground-lifting. I understand you are using TRS cables, but if you are using XLR then disconnect pin 1. This is in essence a group-loop problem.

The noise originates from the computer's VRM (voltage regulator module) section mainly. Graphic-cards' VRM also create their own noise on top of that (CPU internal GPUs are much less problematic). Computer PSUs are a third source.

Said noise travels via the earth/ground wire and PC mass/shield (including chassis) to all external devices that use three-prong safety plugs. This also means that cancellation/amplifications happen due to different signal travel paths. For example, plugging your computer display to another power outlet can shift the signals in a way that they cancel each other better.

On a side-note: The mouse-movement noise frequency is based on the USB poll rate. So a 1000 Hz mouse will create 1000 Hz noise, which usually is more prevalent than the default 125 Hz.

So weird, I just came here now to post the same issue a day after Horosh. This never used to be an issue, it has only become apparent recently. Not sure what has changed, same RCA -> unbalanced 1/4" jack I have always used. I have just isolated the cable from the bunched cable run and no difference. Every mouse movement, particularly moving windows around, creates a noise, and with a constant high pitch tone and pulse.

Amplified recording:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pouoyoa8h8lb8 … e.m4a?dl=0

No XLRs, what should I do?

Thanks

You need to break the ground-loop, no way around that. You can try to switch power-outlets around, hoping for cancellation. Or you can lower the CPU clock-rate (try power-saving mode for a test), but that obviously is no real solution.

The constant high pitched noise could rather be the PSU. Switch that for another one hoping for improvements.

Anyway, it's not exactly the same problem as Horrosh', because he experiences it on headphones (using the extra amp).

Thanks Timur!
Now I know what I need to do, but I'm not sure on how to, this is the cable that connects my AIO to the HM-800:

https://www.intermusic-pro.com/upload/producto/listado/1024x1024/adam-hall_k4yvpp0300.jpg

And this is what I tried but it didnt work.

https://i.ibb.co/3WNtPCG/Last-Share-Collage.jpg

The noise is still there sad
Very similar to the audio that Hazza uploaded to dropbox, but in my case only hearing it through the HM-800.

The AIO headphone output is unbalanced, it is not possible to remove the ground connection in the TRS there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME