1 (edited by DIMILLIONE 2020-10-31 13:30:31)

Topic: RME Windows 10 Audio Enhancements On/Off

Hello, I recently got a RME Babyface FS. Installed the driver and TotalMix and found out that there is a category named Enhancements in properties of every audio device located in Sounds > Playback and Recording. Some say the RME driver should bypass this but I can hear a huge difference between Disable all enhancements checked or the opposite. Seems like when it's unchecked then there is more and tight low end along with more compression or more clear sound, I'm not sure. My question is if enhancements should be enabled or not? ( If they color the sound when enabled) and if enchantments are part of RME or Windows sound correction?

Thank you in advance

Re: RME Windows 10 Audio Enhancements On/Off

I am pretty sure that it should be read this way: RME ASIO driver bypasses this.

I assume you are referring to the RME WDM devices that you activate in the RME driver settings for Windows and all applications that are not ASIO aware.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It make make sense but doesn't work this way at least for me, even when I'm recording in my DAW which is Ableton Live and check and uncheck the Disable all enhancements in a Playback or a Recording category I can hear that sound difference more low end and more compressed sound.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-11-01 11:05:44)

I think then you are still using the wrong driver in your DAW.
Sound enhancements you can only set in the Windows Audio Settings.
There you only find Windows / WDM driver, but not ASIO driver.

Use the RME ASIO driver in your DAW and then all inputs and outputs will bypass the Windows sound system entirely.

Can you pls provide a screenshot of your DAWs driver settings ? If you do not know how to post pictures, then pls read this: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

Schematic about audio flow:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1988-TotalMix-Diagram-Overview-Signal-Flow-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I am using the ASIO in my DAW, it's the only way to get a low latency for my guitar

6 (edited by ramses 2020-11-01 11:08:22)

DIMILLIONE wrote:

I am using the ASIO in my DAW, it's the only way to get a low latency for my guitar

Then you bypass Windows audio and the Windows audio enhancements can't be active for audio.

Then it must be something different ...

Pls see also drawing above, which I added later to the posting.

7 (edited by DIMILLIONE 2020-11-01 11:09:30)

https://ibb.co/MCtKGn0 Those are my settings
I really tried everything I know and don't know, maybe I should reinstall my drivers?

Looks good .. ok given now, that you use the correct driver.
Where would it be possible for you to set audio enhancements for it ?!
Only in Windows Sound settings.
But there is no entry for ASIO, only for Windows / WDM driver.
As ASIO bypasses Windows audio ... got my point ?

I would check whether there is a VST plugin active somewhere in an input or output channel of the DAW.
Or maybe you have an integrated channel strip active like in cubase, something like this.
Or a bass boost by TM FX EQ ?

It's on default settings, I even tried different VST plugins and using no boost of EQ's. That's really weird. Even when I installed ASIO4ALL it still got effected by the enhancements settings. Overall I thought that ASIO4ALL made everything sound clearer but something about felt not right so I uninstalled it.

ASIO4ALL is not needed and makes things worse.
It provides an additional Layer on top of all audio drivers and talks ASIO towards the application (DAW) also for devices that are connected by Windows / WDM drivers.
Ok .. this makes it possible to even use USB microphones, BUT this is not a professional and supported concept.
You do not buy RME with excellent driver quality and low latency to feed audio through an additional ASIO4all ASIO layer.
THEN it can come to situations, that Windows Audio enhancements might be activated for an USB microphone and you are wondering about the bass boost and do not find it neither in DAW nor in TotalMix FX.

Thanks for trying to help, really appreciate that and now I thanks to you I know for sure ASIO4ALL is a wrong c. I disabled it on every device in a Playback and Recording categories so it's not possible, I even tried to disable the mic completely and it still effect the sound. I wonder what could it be..