Topic: TotalMix FX 1.70 Beta 5 available for download

For various reasons we decided to pre-publish TotalMix FX 1.70 B5. It is available through these links:

Win:
http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/total … b5_win.zip

Mac:
http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/total … b5_mac.zip

News and changes:

- The Preference Do not load - Control Room now includes the CRM mute states

- OSC support adds the ability to load Quick Workspaces (if present). This is a non-paged function, see the updated OSC document here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/osc_t … ix_new.zip

- HDSP AES-32 and HDSPe AES were missing the support for Aux devices (choice of AES 1-8 and AES 9-16)

- Improved text for flashing the settings into Digiface Dante

- Windows only: Multi interface setups: Sort order changes in the Settings dialog of USB interfaces caused TM FX to send ADM commands to the wrong interface. This fix also requires the latest MADIface driver 0.9728, which itself comes with the official TM FX 1.67, fixing a detect problem for the Fireface UC, introduced in TM FX version 1.66.

- Mac only: if the Babyface Reverb is started but has no permission to access the microphone a warning is issued

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX 1.70 Beta 5 available for download

Where is the latest official version of TotalMix FX normally downloaded from?
The reason I ask is that I think the TotalMix FX I have installed on my PC came along with my UCX windows driver download package (at least that's what I remember to be the case) which shows me that the installed TotalMix FX version is 1.66 while you mention that the official version now is TM FX 1.67 - is that the version I should be using as official and how should I think about updating TM FX software in the future (as part of UCX driver updates, or is there a separate download location for TM FX only - I looked on the website but am not able to find it)?

Also, for the new 1.70 BP package - how should it be installed? I downloaded and unziped the package after which I see only one TotalMixFX.exe file - is that some type of installation file that will install over everything that is currently installed, or is it the final executable that should be simply copied to some folder over existing already installed application (if that is the case where should it be copied on Win 10 machine)? Also, should I turn off my UCX while I'm installing (because my currenly installed TotalMixFX is already running when UCX is turned on)?

Thank you MC. I also got just an app icon, not a full installer, but by dragging into my applications folder and replacing the existing totalmix I was able to launch 1.7 beta 5. This solved my mute when switching snapshots problem!!! Would love to be involved in future beta's of totalmix if you need people.

sethparis wrote:

Thank you MC. I also got just an app icon, not a full installer, but by dragging into my applications folder and replacing the existing totalmix I was able to launch 1.7 beta 5. This solved my mute when switching snapshots problem!!! Would love to be involved in future beta's of totalmix if you need people.

Are you using mac or pc? If you are using PC in which folder did you have to drag (copy) the application?
I wish there were some instructions provided on how to properly install this (even if it's only to explicitly mention that we just need to replace binary at certain location ...).

c:\windows\System32

Thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes. I can see that binary already at that location so apparently just need to copy over it - would be nice if RME actually officially clarify that with some simple instruction file along with the executable. My concern is that copies of that binary seem to be also present in some other folders as well - if you do windows search for TotalMixFx.exe starting from C:\Windows you can see that it finds multiple copies if this file.

So I copied the binary to C:/Windows/system32 and rebooted. Everything still works as well as before this change (although I had nothing broken before so just wanted to help out during this beta testing).

This is a beta. Sorry, but betas are usually not for people who can't find the TotalMix executable on their hard drive. BTW, if you search this forum for the previous TM FX stand-alone release you also find info about all the paths.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This is a beta. Sorry, but betas are usually not for people who can't find the TotalMix executable on their hard drive. BTW, if you search this forum for the previous TM FX stand-alone release you also find info about all the paths.

Thanks. I understand - I am a software developer as well and I've been in software development business for a long time. It was just somewhat concerning to me that windows search for the installed executable found more than one (of course it did seem most likely the only one needed was that one in system32 folder but even that was somewhat strange to me - I expected it to be in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) where application binaries are typically installed - I was looking for RME folder there before going to windows search to look for executable). 
There is also one more thing that I was not sure about - there are probably also support files that probably come along with the 'normal' installation of this software and sometimes when betas get released if they have new features then sometimes some of those additional files may also have additional settings that binaries need to read.
Combination of those questions is what prompted me to post the question about instructions.

I've tried to follow along the development of TotalMix FX, but as it stands, it's somewhat difficult to find up to date information about the changes in every version. Am I looking from the wrong place and is there like a "complete changelog" somewhere that sums up every change from one version to other... all in one list?

It's difficult to stay informed in what has been solved and what hasn't. big_smile

In the driver's readme. Else in the respective thread opening post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I experiencing issues with 1.7b5
The TotalMix FX Window is not being restored properly anymore.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9fd4bld4ox7a7f/2020-12-02%2012_31_39-TMFX1.7b5-NotOK.jpg?dl=1

After reloading Quick Workplace Select I get it back how it should look.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke2iurfd5wchovz/2020-12-02%2012_32_04-Window.jpg?dl=1

Then I saved snapshot, workspace and quickworkplace select completely new.
But the error persists. It seems as if the workplace settings are not being applied to the application.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses

try right-click "exit TotalMix FX" after you have reloaded Quick Workplace select - (this saves the settings XML files)

reboot and report back

Indeed this changes something

The collapsed channels are now narrowed etc .. looks familiar.
One problem remains, the Window is being opened at a different position on the desktop.
Previously this was not the case.

I will perform a restore now of the state of this morning.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

16 (edited by ramses 2020-12-02 13:37:06)

BTW, I am getting sometimes this messages during reboot, but sometimes it passes by so quickly that I cannot see. I am not sure, but maybe this is perhaps related to the issue ?

This time it stood much longer on screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slnkvnjkiuzr6nh/2020-12-02%2013_10_11-TM%20FX%20003.JPG%20-%20Picasa%20Photo%20Viewer.jpg?dl=1

ramses wrote:

Indeed this changes something

The collapsed channels are now narrowed etc .. looks familiar.
One problem remains, the Window is being opened at a different position on the desktop.
Previously this was not the case.

I will perform a restore now of the state of this morning.

you're welcome smile

so you are hitting the same "BUG" that I was talking about in the other thread - this is not a 'level' or a 'snapshot' problem. 

EVERYTHING apart from window locations are stored in these XML files.  If they are not updated then NO changes will be saved.

A reboot does not cause a save for you (or me) - probably only on MC's computer smile

The workaround is to manually right-click 'Exit TotalMix FX' whenever you change ANYTHING - (obviously)

Yes it works now, also restore of the window at the proper position.

so let's see if I can persuade MC to take the issue seriously - rather than just say it's my PC....which it isn't

Don't worry too much wink
RME only needs a proper error description and steps to reproduce it.

I think the problem didn't show up and was simply unknown, because most of the people
a) had already their fixed settings that never change and
b) use the TM FX option
    [x] Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings
   so that the environment always has the same settings after boot/login.

21 (edited by orange 2020-12-02 14:24:48)

I'm certainly not worried ? smile

MC was pretty clear that it wasn't a problem and he totally understood what I was describing. It is so simple it doesn't need a step by step reproduction.

and the setting:

[x] Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings

has ZERO to do with the problem - that's something different again - that syncs the settings in the DSP with the settings from TotalMix.   It doesn't stop the preferences/settings/levels/snapshots EVERYTHING not being written on reboot.

There are many devices (eg Raydat) that don't have a supported DSP so this setting does NOTHING in those cases.

MC may well say that you are just one of 100,000 users that are affected with this problem but I guessing he hasn't actually tested it in a long while

anyway totally offtopic for this thread ........