Topic: Pro Tools cannot communicate with Babyface Pro

Hi,

I purchased an RME Babyface Pro FS in Sept

The unit is not working properly. When opening a Pro Tools session on a 2015 27 inch 5K retina iMac, ProTools intermittently loses its connection with the interface. The unit exhibits the exact same problem when connected to a 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro.

When opening a session I intermittently get this:
Pro Tools cannot communicate with Babyface Pro (73001734).  Please quit Pro Tools, reconnect the unit, and then relaunch Pro Tools.

Troubleshooting so far:
Deleted and reinstalled Pro Tools including all ProTools preferences.
Updated RME drivers
Re-flashed babyface hardware
Tried different USB ports
Replaced USB cable
Added separate interface power supply

Then I installed the drivers on my MacBook Pro, (which by the way bricked my computer and was unable to boot until I did quite a bit of repair work), yet the problem persists on this separate machine with a separate install of all of the related software.

The problem persists at all sample rates and across many different sessions from many different sources. It does seem to be related to switching sample rates.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Re: Pro Tools cannot communicate with Babyface Pro

What version of OSX are we talking about?

Tried another USB cable too?

Tried another program to record and playback? Audacity, fi.

Tried a complete hardware reset of the BFP? (see manual for procedure).

I don't know the BFP, but some RME interfaces have a "PC" and a "Mac" setting. Again, explained in the manual.

I tried googling the PT error. Funny. First hit is this:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/artic … r-messages

But the error code doesn't even figure on that page... It is, however related to the kind of problem you're experiencing.

And, of course, the BFP could be defective, in which case you need to contact support in your country for the warranty procedure.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

And there's another, old one: If you've ever had PT on your Mac before, a remainder of the previous install could cause this exact behaviour.

You need to check the Extensions folders in the user and system directory if there's any old extension named "Avid..." or "Protools..." something. If there is, delete and reboot.

Test again.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

I have a similar problem with logic so it's not a Pro Tools specific problem. I have narrowed it down to a problem with switching sample rates when opening a session. The baby face driver will not follow the sample rate of the session that's being open in either logic or ProTools. I have to manually set the appropriate sample rate in order for the logic or ProTools session to open. This can't be correct

PROBLEM SOLVED!

With excellent help from RME tech support we figured out that the problem was being caused by an app called Audio Hijack which was apparently messing with the RME driver. I uninstalled Audio Hijack and all is well!