Topic: UFX disconnects frequently

My UFX (connected by USB to Mac Pro directly) keeps disconnecting, usually when in Cubase. It probably disconnects other times when not running Cubase, but in Cubase you get the alert to switch interfaces when it can't see the UFX. A few seconds later the UFX sometimes just reconnects on its own, or if I turn the volume knob, it seems to make it reconnect.

Any idea why this might be happening? There is nothing else going on in the system, and I just replaced my FF400 with this UFX, and the FF400 never disconnected. Performance otherwise is quite good.

I'm on OSX 10.14.6 and latest RME drivers.

Re: UFX disconnects frequently

USB cable defective, or connector contacts unstable? Also older UFX units often need to get a new internal power supply.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, I'll check into the cable first. Is there a way to diagnose the power supply going bad? I don't see the unit turning off during the disconnect but I'm sure a fluctuation in power may not be noticeable.

eepyikes wrote:

My UFX (connected by USB to Mac Pro directly) keeps disconnecting, usually when in Cubase. It probably disconnects other times when not running Cubase, but in Cubase you get the alert to switch interfaces when it can't see the UFX. A few seconds later the UFX sometimes just reconnects on its own, or if I turn the volume knob, it seems to make it reconnect.

Any idea why this might be happening? There is nothing else going on in the system, and I just replaced my FF400 with this UFX, and the FF400 never disconnected. Performance otherwise is quite good.

I'm on OSX 10.14.6 and latest RME drivers.

I don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem with a UFX. For me, the problem was long USB cables to reach my computer, which is in a closet.

I switched to USB over Ethernet, and the problem disappeared.

I'm experiencing the same issue with my brand new UFX+ I tried to install today.  Are there any settings I should try before replacing the USB cable (that actually came with the UFX+)?

tla wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issue with my brand new UFX+ I tried to install today.  Are there any settings I should try before replacing the USB cable (that actually came with the UFX+)?

And you have what PC or MAC and what OS version ?!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by tla 2020-11-12 21:14:58)

ramses wrote:

And you have what PC or MAC and what OS version ?!

Yeah sorry, was too agitated to write anything else wink

I'm on Win 10. I've tried several USB ports - all straight on my (AMD) mainboard as per the suggestions from your blog.

It disconnects every 10 or so seconds just while playing back some music. Haven't even tried recording anything. When the connection breaks, it looks like all other USB devices also disconnect - I noticed that my external HD opens up in Windows explorer after the UFX+ is connected again. I've tried without any other USB devices connected to the PC, doesn't help.

MADIface Settings show no USB errors. When the UFX+ disconnects, the settings dialog shows "Device Disconnected" and "Device Error".

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before buying a new cable.