Topic: Ufx+ dsp power

Does UFX+ has enough Dsp power to enable equalizer and compressor on every channel including adat and madi ones into Tmfx?

I asked this Rme support but no answer yet.

Thanks

Re: Ufx+ dsp power

No. Compressor is not possible on all channels. Examples:

72 EQs, 72 LC, Reverb, Echo, or
44 EQ, 44 LC, 14 Dynamics, 12 Auto Level

With DURec Off values increase by about 10% (48 EQ, 48 LC, 18 Dynamics, 16 Auto Level, etc).

This is 48 kHz. Double and Quad Speed numbers are lower, of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Another option is to buy another 802 and double the channels and dsp.
Will cubase recognize those as a single device?

Thanks MC

4 (edited by ramses 2020-11-08 15:20:40)

martin27 wrote:

Another option is to buy another 802 and double the channels and dsp.
Will cubase recognize those as a single device?

Thanks MC

From driver perspective this is possible, if your system has no issues with two devices. From operational perspective you will have two separate instances of TotalMix FX, where you can't route across devices/TM FX instances.

Additionally you need to take care to
- to clock synch the two devices by using one of the digital connections
- to use the same ASIO buffer size for both devices in the driver settings

But I question myself why you need so many FX. What is your use case for that ?
I guess you want to use your 802 as life mixer ?

I personally record everything "as is" to have the unmodified sound in the DAW recording.
I need FX only for the monitor mixes to phones and use loopback recording to pre-EQ my guitar overdub recordings.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by martin27 2020-11-08 19:54:12)

Good question Ramses
It is just for home studio use.
I use adat stereo in and outs as  connections (non fiscal) for external fx on cubase. I load these channels into tm with dynamics and eq an use them as channel strips.
Because i record and mix in same time, this is the only way to work with near zero latency.

But I need aprox 40 stereo channels loaded with eq and comp.

6 (edited by ramses 2020-11-08 20:19:25)

I would use the effect section of a recording interface for tasks that are performed best directly at the recording interface. If you want to eq the signal of your phones submix or to give the vocalist a little reverb when recording to feel better.

The goal of recording is, to record the input signals as authentic as possible (raw) without effects.
Further processing is being performed in the mixing and mastering phases by using
the FX effects of the DAW or 3rd party VSTs or by using real hardware.

Why ? Many reasons, more authentic or because it gives you more options.
The more complexity in these effects the more CPU they require.
This can be done best either in HW or by using the CPU of the PC which has more CPU power.

If you look at that picture .. you do not require the full FX section (of your recording interface) for every channel of your recording interface, this makes no sense to me.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses for your input.
Probably you are not familiar with cubase and external fx.
With external fx in an "insert" slot, you can route the signal out of cubase (into tmfx) and back in without affecting original recorded track. You can process this signal with compressor, lc, eq and reverb into tmfx in real-time with no latency at all. If you disable the "insert" fx, your track will remain as originally recorded.
I have a powerful pc and powerful server for my vsti libraries. A big collection of plugins, also uad but believe me, this is a very good way to record and mix in same time with near zero latency. Rme effects also are very good quality, with crystal clear sound and impressive dynamic range.
I wish Ufx+ or madifx had the ability to load 40 stereo channels with comp and eq.