Topic: 16” macbook pro catalina hangs up on startup after installing drivers

Hi,

I just installed latest catalina drivers for usb madiface at the warehouse. After installation and allowing restart OS loaderbar hangs up at around 60%. Anyone had the same issue before and/or tips to proceed?

Re: 16” macbook pro catalina hangs up on startup after installing drivers

Hi all,

After multiple reboots and going into recovery mode possibilities I got my macbook boot up again. Here's what I did. In recovery mode select "install OSX". After that initiate re-install of OSX. After that press cancel and shut window with all the recovery options. After that there's only possibility to choose your harddrive as your boot HD. And after that computer booted up normally.

Apparently something prevented the bootup and after manually selecting THE ONLY POSSIBLE boot medium computer again knew what to do....

had this same problem with the MBP 16:

- installed latest Catalina drivers for UFX
- after installation, I followed instructions for the Security & Privacy panel
- allowed system reboot via dialog box
- OS apple load screen hangs at at 99%

i tried your solution above but didn't work for me. (what are the "recovery options"?) after multiple reboots, i ended up reinstalling Catalina from the recovery screen (instead of quitting the install process), and now it seems to work.

Catalina so far has really been a huge disrupter to workflow and productivity on just about every level. I highly recommend staying away for now.

4 (edited by finetuned 2020-01-10 01:09:52)

This happened to me also today.  I made sure I cleared the extension in Security before rebooting.

I tried manually removing the various files listed in the manual which didn't work. I had to roll back to a local snapshot to login and lost a couple of hours work which wasn't as bad as reinstalling.

This was my first experience as a RME user, I am not happy!

5 (edited by finetuned 2020-01-10 11:39:07)

I successfully installed Fireface USB Driver v3.18 this morning without issue so it must be something in v3.18.3

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_318.zip

Same happened to me today with my 16" MacBook Pro. Almost half a year later and RME didn't fix the problem by now.. sad

At least Barska's solution helped..

I'm having the same problem even at the end of June. After purchasing 2 Thunderbolt adapters from Apple to use my FireFace 800 on a new 16" MacBook Pro, I expected no problem. I installed the latest driver as I used to, because there has been no such problem for the past 15 years, but this time it became serious.
I only could manage to boot up to write this thanks to barska's emergency solution, but I had no luck with finetuned's 3.18 driver as it was for USB devices.
Has anyone solved this issue with a FireFace?
Thanks in advance and stay safe everyone!

After I managed to start up my MacBook Pro thanks to barska's workaround, I tried to install version 3.36 which I could download from RME's archive site and it worked.
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/download … reface.php

So I tried the latest version 3.39 again and it worked!!
I wonder if any security settings have been changed when I escaped from the recovery mode by canceling macOS reinstall.

Kudos to barska and everyone here!

Hi, I've suffered the same issue when I installed my brand new FireFace UCX.  I tried barska's steps, but it didn't work for my, however I did manage to do it through startup manager and selecting the boot volume.  I then cleaned off the latest drivers from the system, installed the previous version, once I confirmed that it was all working ok I upgraded to 3.39 and everything seems to have been ok since.  I does feel like the startup process is a little slower, but I can't say I paid lots of attention to it previously.

same issue after installing brand new fireface UCX on brand new mac mini.

after all the good stuff i've heard about RME drivers a little underwhelmed.

ok so was able to get around this with barskas steps, i guess it must be apple overzealously blocking driver files.

Same issue here on a new 2020 (non-M1) Mac Mini. 

Thanks much to Barsaka for sharing your resolution.  Following your steps resolved my issue as well.

BTW - I called RME/Synthax to get assistance w/the issue as well.  Thanks much to Jeff for his help.  Gotta' say, I'm both impressed, as well as grateful that support is still existent for a product I purchased 13 years ago!  Cannot think of many other manufacturers with such exemplary customer service!!

Happy New Year,
teknosmoker

Got stuck on the same issue today. MacBook Pro 2018 15.6” i9 Touch Bar 

Barska steps worked

Instead of going the recovery route, could you not just keep the OPTION key pressed during boot-up, which will display the boot selector? Then select to boot the OS X installation and once booted use Preferences to reset the default boot drive.

I also just bricked my 2015 Macbook Pro, wish I had found this thread before installing the drivers. The Barska solution did not work, and unfortunately my drive at the time was too full to reinstall the OS from recovery mode so I may be looking at a clean wipe and loss of all my date. Unless ayone has another solution???

Try to connect an external drive and install a fresh OS there. Then at least you can copy your data off the internal drive.
As the the issue as such, it's not reliably reproducible and we have no reason at the moment to assume the driver or installation itself causes it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you!! That saved my life today.