Topic: TotalMix FX v1.66 available for Mac and Windows

TotalMix FX version 1.66 is now available as stand-alone download. Most drivers include v 1.65 right now, later driver updates will include 1.66 then.

These are the news and changes for TotalMix FX 1.66:

- Extended mixer for Digiface Dante (maximum number of nodes raised from 2048 to 4096). Requires firmware 37 for full node count.

- Mono Mic to Stereo for Babyface Pro/FS. This function copies the left mic input channel's audio to the right input channel so audio is available on both channels for the record path. To activate set the inputs AN1/2 into Stereo mode, then in the Tool panel click the new lowest button labelled AN1->2. Requires firmware 127 to work.

- ASIO Direct Monitoring did not work with Thunderbolt (UFX +).

- Optimized shut down procedure. This is another attempt to reduce the harmless but annoying crash message of TM FX that some users experience when shutting down the computer.

Download:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tota … in_166.zip

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tota … ac_166.zip

For Windows: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the new version into Windows\System32, overwriting the old file.

For Mac: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the app into the Applications folder, overwriting the old file.

Firmware updates:

BF Pro Mac
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_mac.zip

Digiface Dante Mac
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

BF Pro Win
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip

Digiface Dante Win:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_ … et_win.zip

Any feedback is appreciated!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX v1.66 available for Mac and Windows

Hi

I installed the newest driver for UFX II and I see a Totalmix Version 1.63 built in into the driver.
Good would be to have the newest Totalmix version built into the driver (install of driver works).

I cannot just copy Totalmix into System32. I have adminrights but does not work (denied).

Peter

3 (edited by ramses 2020-09-18 10:23:58)

pschelbert wrote:

Hi

I installed the newest driver for UFX II and I see a Totalmix Version 1.63 built in into the driver.
Good would be to have the newest Totalmix version built into the driver (install of driver works).

I cannot just copy Totalmix into System32. I have adminrights but does not work (denied).

Peter

As MC wrote "later driver updates will include 1.66 then"

What is the error message ? You might have to stop the application before you are able to overwrite. Then 1st it didn't work for me as well, then I 1st copied/pasted the TM binary to Desktop and moved from there to C:\Windows\system32. This time it worked.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Updated just now.  Everything seems fine.

What are the system requirements for TotalMix FX v1.66 and Firmware update, for Mac?
Thanks

Updated, everything works - thanks!

- Optimized shut down procedure. This is another attempt to reduce the harmless but annoying crash message of TM FX that some users experience when shutting down the computer.

Great one since I was one of the users having such issues. Wondering if "distorted" audio playback every now and then was also caused by it?

8 (edited by Maddcow 2020-11-13 01:12:13)

I run a Mac app called MacUpdater and it's telling me there is a v1.7.0 version (release date 29 Oct 20) of Total Mix available.  Is there a v1.7.0 available somewhere or is MacUpdater telling me the wrong thing?

Seriously? You can't find the 1.70 beta 5 thread in this forum?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31776

Maybe a sticky would be of help.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Why the hell would I be looking for a beta thread, especially when the stickies are usually for final releases? That was a really lame reply, MC.

ramses wrote:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31776

Maybe a sticky would be of help.

Thanks so much Ramses. You’re a legend.

13 (edited by andrewhenderson 2020-11-13 19:44:15)

Maddcow wrote:
MC wrote:

Why the hell would I be looking for a beta thread, especially when the stickies are usually for final releases? That was a really lame reply, MC.

I think MC REALLY HATES his job.  There are TONS of these sarcastic and non customer friendly replies from him, going many years back.  He must have a high stake in the company, otherwise, I don't know why they keep him around, or better yet, get someone fresh and more motivated to deal with the forums.  For the amount RME charges for their interfaces, they need to be reminded that they are only in business, because of us annoying customers.  So many times I wish I could reach through my monitor and slap this guy.

Funny. Really no idea who MC is, have you? :-)

Maybe you should inform yourself before complaining?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

> or better yet, get someone fresh and more motivated to deal with the forums.

I am waiting since years for this to happen! Unfortunately it's not that easy to find someone who can stand the 'forum culture' for a longer time and also has the required knowledge. Such people are automatically over-qualified to do such a stupid, nerv and brain sucking job.

So you will have to live with me for the forseeable future, doing this in my free time...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am still very new to RME world but am very happy that this forum exists and that RME employees are actively participating. This is far better than what most other vendors provide. Also, even when RME don't answer questions there are several other very knowledgable people who are providing great help (very enthusiastically as well!).
I guess my main point is that it's easy to take great technical support for granted and find things to complain about - but my experience has been that with most other vendors you get far less help than is available here.

17 (edited by ramses 2020-11-14 13:14:14)

I never experienced such a dedicatedness to products and willingness to help and to make products even better like with RME.

This is my personal motivation to dedicate a lot of my free time to RME, to write blog articles and to support other customer in the forum.

I am kind of shocked by this posting from andrewhenderson which goes far beyond what one should write to another person via internet in public.. and especially not to the CEO and co-founder of RME who supported so many users here in the forum with nearly 20.000 posts and fulfilled many requests/wishes from users (also from andrewhenderson!) to make the products even better.

18 (edited by andrewhenderson 2020-11-14 19:31:52)

Hi guys,

Allow me to explain myself and yes, apologize!  No, I was not aware of who exactly MC is, nor did I feel it mattered.  If anything, it is even worse that the CEO and co-founder of RME should act in such a way, whether it be out of frustration, or not.  My comment above was not some random one off, I have noticed condescending and 'frustrated' sounding posts for MANY years now from him, but never said anything, until now.  I am not sure why I even did so now, but I did and I can't take it back.  I totally get it.  This is a crappy gig and it does take someone with a lot of patience to deal with it.  I know I couldn't.  If anything, the CEO is over qualified to be doing such a thing and if he is doing it on his spare time, that is even worse.  It doesn't make it right to have customers 'nervous' about what sort of backlash they will receive when asking a question, even if it is redundant, foolish, obvious, etc. 

I don't recall MC every fulfilling any personal wishes of mine?  I don't really have any, other than the unit keeps working the power supply failing problems weren't so prevalent.

I'm sorry Matthias and I am sorry to everyone else.  What I said was uncalled for, but I am big enough to admit it and at least try and shed some light onto why I said, what I said.  Someone else really should step up and allow MC some MUCH needed time off, perhaps even permanently from the forums.

Ramses, you seem overly anxious for such a position, maybe you can take over and join RME's payroll to fill his boots?  Just an idea, as you are very present and knowledgeable.

Anyways, what is done is done and I do regret acting out.  To all who are helping out, a big thank you, as it is not easy and we do appreciate it, even if it isn't shown.

19 (edited by ramses 2020-11-15 16:42:17)

Leave me out of this. I do not want to be put in front of your agenda in any way and whatever it is.
You should be fair in everything you do and keep a certain proportion in your statements. I see no reason for such excessive verbal attacks in public here in this thread. This is for certain no appropriate behavior and this can't be justified by anything.
For me it is also a nogo to act so unfairly out of the anonymity of a forum. There are better ways to complain and it should start with a personal conversation and not by abusing a public forum in such a way like you do.
If you really want to apologize, then you should just do so and not accompany it with further attacks.

Thanks, Ramses, for wording it much better than I ever could.

So back on subject. I’m new here and I downloaded the driver for the babyface pro fs which when I look is from 2019 and comes with a Total mix version much older than this one. Even if the actual driver doesn’t need updating don’t you think it would be a good idea to do so anyway to update the version of TotalMix or probably better make them totally separate?

It’s been a few weeks since I got the interface and only reading on the forum made me realise my TotalMix was out of date. I assumed getting the latest driver would also be the latest TotalMix.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

22 (edited by ramses 2020-11-15 15:52:20)

I would work with the TM FX version that is bundled with the latest driver (even if it is from 2019)
unless v1.66 has or fixes something important for you.

Its fully up to you, whether you want to try the new TM FX version and to give RME feedback,
whether all is working fine or not, with the goal to make this a rock solid version for everybody.

What I do when testing new versions ...
1. simply quit the currently running TM FX version
2. start the just downloaded new version (I personally place it on desktop for that purpose)

I personally prefer to not overwrite the proven/stable version from driver under c:\windows\system32 unless I am sure, that it works well.

andrewhenderson wrote:

Hi guys,

If anything, the CEO is over qualified to be doing such a thing and if he is doing it on his spare time, that is even worse.

I could not disagree more. The fact that CEO/founder (I also did not know this about MC) is super technical and still willing to continue to be a 'geek' and answer support questions about the full range of products RME have released over the years (hardware and/or software) is probably the main reason why RME is head and shoulders above the competition. It also explains why their user  manuals that are written in such great technical detail that even music professionals admit to reading them multiple times to get a full understanding of all possible ways of using the products.

ramses wrote:

I would work with the TM FX version that is bundled with the latest driver (even if it is from 2019)
unless v1.66 has or fixes something important for you.

Its fully up to you, whether you want to try the new TM FX version and to give RME feedback,
whether all is working fine or not, with the goal to make this a rock solid version for everybody.

What I do when testing new versions ...
1. simply quit the currently running TM FX version
2. start the just downloaded new version (I personally place it on desktop for that purpose)

I personally prefer to not overwrite the proven/stable version from driver under c:\windows\system32 unless I am sure, that it works well.

I gave it a go today and like you I prefer not to overwrite so I stopped the TotalMix from running and moved the original to a folder with the version number and placed the new one in. Working fine so far. I thought it worth it as the version I had was 1.61

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

ramses wrote:

Leave me out of this. I do not want to be put in front of your agenda in any way and whatever it is.
You should be fair in everything you do and keep a certain proportion in your statements. I see no reason for such excessive verbal attacks in public here in this thread. This is for certain no appropriate behavior and this can't be justified by anything.
For me it is also a nogo to act so unfairly out of the anonymity of a forum. There are better ways to complain and it should start with a personal conversation and not by abusing a public forum in such a way like you do.
If you really want to apologize, then you should just do so and not accompany it with further attacks.

Yikes, this was not the intended goal here.  Ramses, I was not trying to 'bring you into anything', nor was I trying to further any 'agenda', seriously, what I wrote was suppose to be a genuine apology, as well as an explanation and nothing more.  If I had worded it by mouth, for you to hear with your ears, you would have clearly got that.  The problem with reading text is, it is often taken out of context and perceived differently, depending on who reads it.  I truly am sorry!  As for anonymity of a forum, that is not true.  My entire, full name is present here, I am not under any alias here.

I guess there is no winning here for me.  I know I made a mistake and I tried (and am still trying) to make up for it.  Ramses, cyrano (since you seem convinced as well, that I am some devil) and of course, Mathias, I really am sorry.  I will leave it at that, as I am now at peace in knowing that what I am conveying is genuine and true.  If no one gets that, then I guess I am sorry for that as well, but there is not much more I can do.

Back to topic...

26 (edited by earthtokirk 2020-11-16 04:52:24)

Is this what is needed to run the FF800?    Got the drivers installed but the usual control panel is missing along with the mixer.
Unable to copy this into the system 32 folder.. Must be something new with windows protecting the system folder? 

Crap...I am guessing there are lots of incompatibilities with the latest version of windows and FF800?  Hmmm?

Like I said no mixer or interface showing up after driver install.. 

Thanks!

Then the unit is not found at all. That's a topic for a different thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

earthtokirk wrote:

Is this what is needed to run the FF800?    Got the drivers installed but the usual control panel is missing along with the mixer.
Unable to copy this into the system 32 folder.. Must be something new with windows protecting the system folder? 

Crap...I am guessing there are lots of incompatibilities with the latest version of windows and FF800?  Hmmm?

Like I said no mixer or interface showing up after driver install.. 

Thanks!

My first bet would be a wonky firewire driver. Second a broken FW cable...