Topic: Fireface 800 - only firewire ports, connect to USB 3.0?

I have a Fireface 800 (Fire Wire 800/400 Digital I/O System) which I would like to connect to a new notebook. Unfortunately, there are no firewire ports on the new notebooks.

Which ports should the new notebook have or which adaptor would I need?

G.K.

Re: Fireface 800 - only firewire ports, connect to USB 3.0?

I'm afraid a Firewire to USB connector doesn't exist. There was once one out there, but it only worked for a few video camera's. Nobody else tried to make one since.

Another solution could be a notebook with an extension slot and a FW card. But these are even harder to find.

So, unless you can find a notebook with Firewire, you'll probably need to change the FF800 for another interface.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, it seems there is no possibility to use the FF800 with new laptops or PCs, since they no longer have Firewire interfaces.

Sorry, something I didn't think of:

You could try to find a notebook with USB-C with a complete feature set. Add an adapter from USB-C to Thunderbolt and an adapter from TB to Firewire. Done.

Of course, that's starting to look as an Apple Macbook :-)

I'm sure you could find one in the PC market too, if you do some research. The problem is, some notebooks have a USB-C port that is only there for charging and USB2/3 compatibility. Some have Thunderbolt, others don't.

And not all adapters are equal either.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thank you, I'll try it

"Of course, that's starting to look as an Apple WINbook :-)"