Topic: Using Fireface UFX on 2 different OS versions?

Hi,
Im using the Fireface UFX (original) on my old computer (2011 macbook OS 10.6.8) with Protools. Running older version of Total Mix and driver 2.21. It's working perfectly so I dont want to risk update.
But I was considering using my newer computer with Reaper for Midi, light recording, etc.
My question is: Can I use the new computer (Macbook pro OS 10.14) AND my old computer with the Firface UFX by switching back and forth?
Would the updated drivers for OS 10.14 computer update the firmware ON the Fireface UFX, or just inside my computer?
I wouldn't want to lose my 2.21 drivers and perfect connection with my old machine.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Fred

Re: Using Fireface UFX on 2 different OS versions?

> My question is: Can I use the new computer (Macbook pro OS 10.14)
> AND my old computer with the Firface UFX by switching back and forth?

Hi Fred, yes sure.

> Would the updated drivers for OS 10.14 computer update the firmware ON the Fireface UFX, or just inside my computer?

To my best knowledge firmware and drivers are a completely separate thing. A firmware update is only being performed if you start the correct fut_* utility and if your device is conneced via USB.

There might be cases where new drivers might require a certain minimum firmware level, but I would say as long as everything works then its fine wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by frednugent 2020-11-16 22:53:18)

Re: Using Fireface UFX on 2 different OS versions?

Thanks very much Ramses!
Just so I understand, to get both computers working
Computer A- (OS 10.6.8) working on old firmware and drivers
and
Computer B- (OS 10.14) 
I should simply upload the OS appropriate firmware and drivers onto Computer B, and this will not effect the Drivers/Firmware when I use Computer A?
Sorry if I didn't fully understand your helpful reply.
Thanks again.