Topic: Expanding the Babyface Pro?

Hello all, hope you're well.
I'm very pleased with my Babyface Pro, especially the routing flexibility.
I'd like to introduce some hybrid mixing elements to my workflow though.
Specifically, running mono tracks like vocals and bass back out through my preamp and compressor chain and then back into DAW. I'd also like to be able to use something like a stereo buss compressor or tone box in the future on group channels and my mix buss.
At current, the Babyface Pro lacks the necessary outputs for me to achieve this, whilst also having my monitor out and headphone outs available to me.
Having the additional inputs would also be useful for tracking more involved set ups too (double miced acoustic and vocals for example)

Do you have any suggestions on an affordable solution to this?
I've been considering a Quadmic II connected via ADAT and wondered if this would work well for my applications, of if you can suggest some alternatives?

Many thanks!

Re: Expanding the Babyface Pro?

Here an overview about RME USB/TB based recording interfaces (not PCI/PCIe cards), see the Excel therein:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Your planned extension covers Mic inputs but your are missing additional analog I/O.

Depends whether you need all this at once, on the other hand instant plugging is also no fun.

Recording interfaces like UC, UCX, 802, UFX II, UFX+ give you 8 analog I/O and 1-2 phones outputs.
802, UFX II, UFX+ give you 4 Mic/Instr inputs, 2 phones outputs, 2x ADAT I/O, by this you can connect even up to 2 external preamps/converters or 8 channel at double speed if this should be desired as well.

There are also cards available like e.g. the RayDAT (PCIe), which is a fully digitally working card with 4x ADAT I/O, 2x MIDI, AES, SPDIF, then you require an external converter for AD/DA and a preamp (three things new).

What is your budget btw ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The detailed info is much appreciated man!
I guess I got mic/line ins and actual analog I/Os confused?

Budget is 500-1000 £s, so UC and UCX could be options.

For running out to gear and then back in, I'm guessing the converters are really important?

Before you change your HW / setup I would strongly recommend to investigate more time and thoughts into this topic.

First think about what your use cases are and the resulting signal flow. It helps to make a drawing.

Next make some thoughts about:
- what latency you would get because of the signal flow
- whether the latency for this particular workflow is significant
- what can be done to compensate it
- whether your DAW support external devices and is able to calculate and compensate the RTL

The converter latency is much smaller compared to the round trip latency through e.g. USB.
And the RTL depends on the ASIO buffersize that you need to use in your project to prevent audio dropouts.
This depends on the size and structure of your DAW project, whether you are in the recording/mixing phase, whether you use a lot (or CPU hungry) VST/VSTi or whether you are simply processing a stereo track during mastering through a chain of devices for mastering where the RTL doesn't matter at all.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13