Topic: Fireface UFX ii + inputs 9-12 as line/ unity gain

Hi, I want to run the OUT from my Daking preamp into the channel 9 input using TRS input. How do I set it so the signal is direct or as a unity signal from the preamp?

I don't want to impart or subtract signal level from what comes out of the preamp. But it seems I have to apply gain in Totalmix ch9 input to get level.

But what is unity level? What level represents no change in level from the Daking preamp into ch9 of the Fireface?

Thanks

Hope I am understood

Fireface UFX II, Babyface Pro, Windows 10, Studio One 5

Re: Fireface UFX ii + inputs 9-12 as line/ unity gain

Without gain, the signal goes in unchanged... If you need more level, apply gain on the external preamp....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

If going in TRS I should select "Inst" right? (talking about inputs 9-12)

Right. And then +8 dB is the lowest gain available. Still you seem to be confused. The 'level' or gain will not change the sound - the UFX II preamps do not have any sound as such, they are transparent. The gain only decides if you get enough level for recording or not. External preamps often have very high output levels, so you have to use the inputs with the lowest sensitivity. XLR (Mic) in clips at +18 dBu (0 dB gain), Inst (TRS) at +21 dBu (+8 dB gain), as explained in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC. Yes, I am limited when it comes to the technical aspects. I THINK that I had the output of the Daking preamp at quite a solid level...and coming into the ch9 TRS input at first I had not selected "Inst" and I was having to increase the ch9 input gain in Totalmix. Later I selected "Inst" and left the level at +8db in Totalmix. (which I assumed was straight signal from the Daking)

I'm just asking about all this because soon I will be connecting multiple preamps and compressors and eq units to the Fireface UFX ii.

However, I don't think I will need to use the front channels 9-12 at all, since I'll be adding i/o via ADAT with a Ferrofish Pulse 16.

I was just curious about gain staging preamps into TRS inputs. Naturally, I don't want to do silly things like have my external preamp under-gained while using Totalmix to increase that gain.

I want to have the external preamp set appropriately and let that signal just pass into the Fireface at the same level that it comes out of the preamp.

6 (edited by blinky 2020-11-17 23:19:51)

I couldn't understand where to give level when going in via ch9 TRS. If I kept the Totalmix level at the lowest, +8, then I had to crank the Daking preamp output to get the recording level I was aiming for - peaks of -12db in my DAW...but when I did this the signal was distorted. Which means I had too much level cranked in the Daking preamp...though the incoming level showed only -12db peaks in my DAW.

I guess I don't understand what to do. It seems I have to juggle gain between the external Daking preamp and Totalmix. But I don't understand how to get the best signal. There's no VU or meter display on the Daking preamp. If there was, I could easily set the right level on the Daking and then make adjustments in Totalmix accordingly.

Is there something I'm not following?

With the UFX II, Inst switches from XLR contacts to TRS contacts. If you see an input level of only -12 dBFS in the TotalMix input level meter (this is the reference, not your DAW. Final reference is the input level meter on your UFX II display), then the signal is not distorted in the UFX 2 - it already arrives distorted. I am not familiar with that Daking unit so can't help here, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by blinky 2020-11-18 04:46:06)

Thanks MC.

Yes, I'm sure the signal was arriving already distorted. The Daking preamp is just a preamp, as you could imagine. The -12db was the level going into my DAW according to the input meters of Studio One 5.

So I was using too much gain at the Daking preamp stage.

In the end, I couldn't understand ch9. So I just used TRS input 1 on the back of the UFX II which seemed to have a 0 to 12 db scale of gain.

I really apologise because I am not conversant in all the figures and terminology.

All I want to do is connect an external preamp to the UFX II.

EDIT: I was just reading about the Daking MicPre/eq...and it appears I was using it very wrong. It has an output which is a passive attenuator. Which means it can attenuate the signal after the preamp/ eq stage. Correct use should have the output knob set all the way up...so that if need be later you can attenuate. Once the output knob is set all the way, you then increase at the gain knob until the desired signal level is reached.

I was using it by cranking the gain way too far and then dialling back the output to compensate. This will lead to distortion.

This is one of the problems I had.