Topic: [Solved] UFX+ not recognized Thunderbolt

Hello,
My UFX+ is not recognized by my PC.
Here is my setup :

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z490 VISION D (USBc Thunderbolt3) - Mac adapter (Thunderbolt 3 to 2) - Corning Thunderbold optical cable (10m) - UFX+

Works well in USB3.

Any thoughts ?
Thanks !
Arnaud

Re: [Solved] UFX+ not recognized Thunderbolt

Did you try the latest BIOS version ?
What happens, if you simplify the setup and connect the UFX+ directly to the Thunderbolt port of the PC ?
I am not sure, whether Apple cables can be used, can you try a "normal" / "non-Apple" TB 3 -> 2 cable ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your answer.

So i did the following :
- test directly with the TB2 cable with my MacbookPro, works fine
- install the thunderbolt update on my PC motherboard, the host led went blue on the UFX+
- install the latest TB driver, but after many instal/uninstall the driver seems not to do a fresh install and the TotalMix doesnot launch. Still works in USB3.

Before try another TB3-2 adapter, i would like to know how to make a clean uninstall of the TB driver.
Windows registry ?
Thanks
Arnaud

> - install the thunderbolt update on my PC motherboard, the host led went blue on the UFX+

Which means what ? Does it work this way ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No, because neither Total mix nor the control panel starts.
Seems that the UFX detects the thunderbolt connection (the led is white/blue) but from a software side it's doesnot launch.
I tried to install the TB driver several times and it doesnot appear in Ccleaner for example (i can see the USB driver here).
I think i need to totally uninstall the TB driver (or install a previous version which doenot exist on rme website) then install it from scratch.
I don't know how to have a clean uninstall.
Thanks for your help smile

6 (edited by ramses 2020-11-13 07:44:07)

Thanks for clarifying and sorry that I can't give you better ideas.

In terms of driver removal see manual ch 6.2.
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_e.pdf

If TB causes too much trouble, then I would simply work with USB3.
I have no TB and USB3 works fine.
With USB 3 you can use up to 3m USB cables. Lindy premium cables are fine.

If you compare the RTL is more or less equal.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

7 (edited by cigame 2020-11-19 06:30:09)

Danke Ramses für's Bestätigen, dass USB 3 zu Thunderbolt gleichwertig ist, denn auf Big Sur bekomme ich bei Verwendung von TB kernel Paniks.
Neue Treiber haben dies inzwischen behoben.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Ja, so würde ich das dann auch machen.
Hier sieht man mal wieder, es ist immer gut, wenn es noch eine 2. Anschlußmöglichkeit an einen Computer gibt.

Thank you for your answer.
In my studio, my computer is 10m away from my audio interface, in a ventilated bay. It used to work with a FF802 in USB2.
I upgraded my config to have MADI so i bought a UFX+. Then with USB 3, there was crackling problems due to cable lenght.
So i change my computer to use Thunderbolt 3. I bought a corning cable, as suggested in RME manual.
About the drivers, i cannot unistall the TB drivers, because they doesnot appear in the installed softawe list, even after several installs.
Maybe i have to reinstall windows, i'm a little bit lost.

10 (edited by ramses 2020-11-14 12:16:35)

If thunderbolt gives you issues that you can't solve ... (sorry I can't help here, no personal experience with TB) ...

AFAIK there are working USB3 cabling extensions available, browse the forum.
Maybe this works better compared to thunderbolt, where you might have additional issues with mainboard/BIOS.

Browse the forum, it might have been an optical cabling extension by Corning.

It is not clear if the TB of that motherboard can work with the Apple adapter. It usually does with newer TB solutions, but for example not with my first generation Skylake based notebook. The Startech adapter works on that one. As does the Corning cable, of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,
Finally i reinstalled Windows from scratch.
The TB RME installer got running well at least... and the UFX works fine !
Several install and uninstall had messed up the TB driver in my previous setup...
Thanks guys !
Arnaud