1 (edited by mruebsamen 2020-11-19 21:28:10)

Topic: Mac OS Big Sur Test and Digiface AVB

I know... it's early :-)
This is just a test drive. But I noticed that the alb controller for the digiface avb doesn't work in Mac OS Big Sur.
I installed the latest USB Fireface installer and and the latest avb controller on a fresh system. (Certainly I allowed the drivers in system preferences...)
When I plugin the digiface avb the controller starts but the window is empty. Sometimes there is no window at all, sometimes I have to kill the process because avb controller doesn't react anymore. Is this already known?

Re: Mac OS Big Sur Test and Digiface AVB

Yes. Update will come but not shortly. Apple removed some network functionality under the hood which needs to be replaced with new code.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the quick reply.
oh dear...
Can you just give a rough timeframe? (like days, weeks, months or years?) I guess it won't be days :-)

Found the same thing here with this Big Sur update on Mac Mini

Device is still recognized as an audio device in core audio. TotalMix / FW-USB setting apps still sees the device

But indeed the Digiface AVB is no longer recognized as a network device

My bad for updating early ! But this was to test various elements before to upgrade on other systems! Just paid the price of early updates!!

Hopefully the dev team can get to the bottom of this!

5 (edited by mruebsamen 2020-12-15 15:25:01)

@Hugo L: You can use the avb devices in Mac OS Big Sur native (without digitale avb) with hive. (look at: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30826) Certainly without the beauty of Totalmix. But the m32 AD pro for example works well with our Macs (with Mac OS Big Sur)

@RME: anyways it would be great to have a rough timeframe for Digiface AVB support smile

There is a solution for the digiface AVB, but it's not released yet. In Big Sur it's not allowed to run your own network kernel drivers. As a replacement we developed a user mode program called "netifc" which provides a network interface. It can also run as a deamon. It's compatible to thirty party programs like wireshark, hive and probably dante controller (dante controller is available only for intel macs at the moment).

wow that sounds fantastic. Even though I was happy to have our m32 ad pro working native on a Mac this really good news. Digiface AVB with Totalmix makes it so much better...
I'm looking forward smile

We now plan to release a first solution for DIGIface AVB and Big Sur Intel/M1. Install

- macOS 11 drivers
- RME AVB controller latest version (yesterday)

both from our website. Then install

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/rme_netifc_mac.zip

This little tool replaces the former RME network kernel extension with a new network interface for 10.14 and up. Simply reboot after installation and everything should work. The zip also includes a readme with all info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Fantastic news - thank you smile

I just uploaded  a new version of net ifc, same link:

- Fixed high CPU load when no Digiface AVB is present

- Added CRC check for incoming network packets

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by mruebsamen 2021-01-27 09:39:38)

It works on our Mac Pros and MacBook Pro running MacOS 11 (Big Sur) smile
Thank you

Just a quick question: We just ordered a M1 Mac (basically for testing)... Did I get this right, that the digiface AVB doesn’t work yet with these?

Please read post 9 again. Clearly says first solution for M1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

netifc is actually at version 5 and got some pretty important updates in the last days until today. So make sure you update to the latest one here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/rme_netifc_mac.zip

More details are found in its readme.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,

I shall get onto testing this update today.

Hi Matthias - thanks for this.

I have a problem however...
Digiface Dante
Firmware v37
Driver 3.24
Mac OS 11.2.3

When I open Dante Controller I deselect "Use shared Dante Interface" and in the Primary interface I can select "feth10000"
(I can also see feth 1001 feth 1002 and feth 1003)

I have DVS active on the computer and I can see this in Dante Controller but I do not see the Digiface Dante
If I connect an additional network cable to the Digiface Dante then it appears.
I can then remove the additional cable and I can still see the Digiface Dante
if I quit Dante Controller and then reopen it I can still see the Digiface Dante.
If I disconnect the Digiface Dante and then reconnect it I do not see the Digiface Dante in Dante Controller.

Any clues?
Many thanks

Adam

Update.......
It would appear that the Digiface Dante is not recognised by Dante Controller unless it has any other Dante connection made from one of it's network ports.
I vaguely remembered this from somewhere - manual or forum?

Now I know this I feel better, although I find this to be quite a unique situation for a Dante enabled device.
It does mean that with the Digiface Dante connected to a computer via USB with no other network connections it is not visible in Dante Controller and therefore no settings can be made in the Device or Network configs before connecting it to a Dante Network.

Many thanks

Adam

One other thing to note with my set up and the new net ifc..........

I cannot see the feth10000 (or any of the other feth) in Dante Virtual Soundcard.
Consequently DVS cannot be set up and used with the Dante network when the Digiface Dante is using the feth10000 connection.

If I connect the Digiface Dante via a physical network interface on the computer then DVS can connect to this same interface and all is well.

Could somebody please check and see if this is happening for them as well as me.

Many thanks

Adam

> It does mean that with the Digiface Dante connected to a computer via USB with no other network connections it is not visible in Dante Controller

That has always been the case. Manual page 16:
Note: Dante Controller will not work as long as at least one other Dante device has been connected to the Digiface Dante.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC

Any clues as to the feth10000 not showing up in DVS?

Many thanks

Adam

Hi Adam,

can you tell us what you need the Dante Virtual Soundcard for if you already have a Digiface Dante?
Just curious - maybe it makes totally sense, but I can't think of a situation where it would.

Hi Marc - thanks for your interest.
The short answer is - I don't !

As I only had my laptop and the Digiface Dante to hand when I initially tested this it seemed like the only thing to do to check that everything was working.
I then decided to stop being lazy and went and got another hardware Dante device out to test further.
I suppose you could conceive of a possible network with two computers - one with the Digiface Dante recording and one using DVS doing some playback ?
I guess I was just curious and wondered why it didn't show up.

Idle hands...............

adamrickets wrote:

As I only had my laptop and the Digiface Dante to hand when I initially tested this it seemed like the only thing to do to check that everything was working.

Well, I must admit, not a bad idea for testing.

adamrickets wrote:

I suppose you could conceive of a possible network with two computers - one with the Digiface Dante recording and one using DVS doing some playback ?

What I would do is just plugging in an additional network interface (one of these USB-Ethernet-Dongles) and connect it with one of the Digiface Dante's ethernet ports.
This way you'd have a proper end-to-end test without OS-dependent shenanigans introduced by using the same interface with the same MAC address.