1 (edited by earthtokirk 2020-11-16 16:07:21)

Topic: Fireface 800 Thunderbolt 3 Windows 10 HP Z8 G4 Workstation

Hello,

I was previously able to get my FF800 running with Thunderbolt 3 on my Asus Deluxe II motherboard - Windows 10 Pro.

Upgraded the system to a HP Z8 G4.  No luck so far.

Device is connected (intel Thunderbolt port 1)
It also shows up in device manager under IEEE 1394.  So that part of the driver is working.

However, the FF800 control interface does not show up, nor does Total Mix.

Have latest TB firmware, bios, etc..

I think maybe the latest version of windoze may be the culprit? hmmmm...

I also managed to set permission to replace the "totalmix fx" app in system 32 driver folders to the latest one = no change).

I know this thing is a dinosaur...but hate to have to buy a new audio interface....hoping to get lucky if possible...

Can try a older version of windows 10 and see if that changes anything.

Using the apple Firewire>TB2 and TB2>TB3 adapters.

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much for any responses!
Greatly appreciated.

2 (edited by earthtokirk 2020-11-18 01:11:04)

Re: Fireface 800 Thunderbolt 3 Windows 10 HP Z8 G4 Workstation

OK, looks like there are a few tried and true firewire adapter card options that actually work in Windows 10 these days...  So will see how that works out!

3 (edited by earthtokirk 2020-11-20 21:18:01)

Well, I tried several things...

Older version of windows on the HP Z8 G4  no luck..  Seems that windows is not seeing the unit.
So ordered new adapters and cables.

In the meantime I also tried a tested fireface add-in card that's supposed to work with this unit.  No luck.

Then I tried installing on the Imac, with TB3 using the TB3-TB2 and TB2-Firewire apple adapters... also no luck.

Then I tried an old gigabyte motherboard with on board firewire..  zero luck there as well.

Beginning to wonder if the FF800 has issues?   Was working fine last time I used it.

Powers on and the red light comes on as it usually does, along with the two green ones.

Anyone know how I can trouble shoot to test if the unit is on the fritz?

I had the caps done years ago by RME.. Hardly ever use this thing so does not seem likely that it is broken?

I am ordering something new in the meantime but would be great to have this as a secondary.

Thanks!

Hello,

Anyone know about sending this in to get checked out? 
Is it super expensive?
What is the procedure?

Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  AT LAST..

OK after trying several FF 400 type cables, no luck...
New FF800 style cable arrived..
Working again! 
So happy, so relived.. 

HP Z8 G4 Workstation with TB3w/ Latest version of windows 10 all updates.. no issues so far.

Also updated the TB3 > TB2 adapter to the one recommended for Windows: Startech # TBT3TBTADAP
And a new apple TB2>firewire adapter.

But the old TB3 apple>TB2 and TB2 apple>firewire adapters are now still working fine as well.

And while I was at it opened up the FF and all the power supply caps are perfect..

Thanks, maybe hopefully this helps others someday as well.