Topic: A Few AVB Related Questions

Hello,

I'm sure I just missed this stuff in the various documentation I've read thru but there are a few questions I have about AVB that I'm hoping someone can answer. Please assume all these questions are coming from a user of a Windows 10 x64 based machine and not an Apple/Mac

1. If I buy an RME Digiface AVB device as well as an RME 1610 Pro AD/DA converter which has its own AVB Ports can I take a ETH Cable and "Home Run" connect between both devices WITHOUT any AVB Switch in the chain? If that works, does the ETH Cable need to be a "Cross-Over" Cable?

2. If this is allowed, will it offer full AVB functionality (ie..no loss of any single feature or function) in the same way that using a dedicated AVB switch allows?

3. Is the AVB protocol and the RME Digiface AVB device Multi-client?

4. Is the AVB protocol and RME's implementation of it Bi-Directional && Multi-Client at the same time when using something like the Digiface AVB?

Thank you

Re: A Few AVB Related Questions

1. Yes, and normal cable.

2. Yes.

3. That question doesn't make sense, talking about network. For the DF AVB it makes sense: you can only connect one to a computer.

4. Same again - how can a network protocol/communication not do any of this?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. Yes, and normal cable.

2. Yes.

3. That question doesn't make sense, talking about network. For the DF AVB it makes sense: you can only connect one to a computer.

4. Same again - how can a network protocol/communication not do any of this?

Thanks for the info

Question 3 & 4 make perfect sense if you realize how many boxes, dacs and other doodad's that are offered on the market that when it comes time to use them in the way you want to all of a sudden you find out that those things you assumed would work all of a sudden do not and then your dead in the water.

Since there is a "Box" required to convert AVB to USB ((in this case the DF AVB) despite the AVB protocol being a network protocol  that is Bi-Directional by nature then the question turns towards the "Box" responsible for this connection.

I've owned plenty of USB devices that do not allow such sharing for BiDirectional and Multi-Client usage thus the reason for my question.

So here is a quick example of why I ask these questions. To be clear, I am not talking about trying to connect the DF AVB to more than one PC at a time. I am talking about more than one program needing to use the DF AVB at the same time. Client in this case refers to multiple pieces of software on the same PC.

So say I have a piece of music playback software installed and it depends on this USB device connected to my PC to talk to the DAC via ASIO or WDM. I open my music playback software and it takes exclusive control of that device. In many cases no other piece of installed software on the PC can now "Share" that connected device at the same time. Then say I want to Send data down a few of the USB channels towards the DAC to playback a signal sweep while at the same time I want to measure the room response of that sweep via something like REW (Room EQ Wizard) which also uses the ASIO driver of this box. I can tell you that there are very few USB devices that allow for such operation which again is why I ask these questions.

Today I use a Lynx Hilo for this connection which allows for all these things but I am looking to move on to something else to replace it.

Thank you

Multiclient and so on on the computer side is described in the manual and identical to most other RME interfaces, because they use the same driver with the same features. Except for the sample rate that has to be identical you can use multiple ASIO and WDM programs, even on the same channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Multiclient and so on on the computer side is described in the manual and identical to most other RME interfaces, because they use the same driver with the same features. Except for the sample rate that has to be identical you can use multiple ASIO and WDM programs, even on the same channels.

Thank you for your reply and answering my questions

You can connect two Digiface AVB to a computer (nobody can prevent you from doing so), but only one of them supports the avb / tsn / milan protocol.