Topic: Questions about Rme Fireface 802

Hi,

I'm trying to send my audio channels from Ableton to software playback in Totalmix to have a better recording and warm sound of the final premaster file.

Everything works fine until channel input 17/18 and then the rest are not working (audio not appearing on total mix)

1)Do you know what could be the issue or how to activate the remaining channels?

Ps: I shouldn't use the phones lines or doesn't matter?

2)In case I'm doing a mixing and premaster in the box, I would like to use Rme Fireface 802 most power about recording quality for the final audio file to send then to mastering.

What would be your suggestion and are there any hints tips inside Totalmix or Rme ?

Thank you in advance for your support

Re: Questions about Rme Fireface 802

Sorry, but I didn't understand your demand. Could you kindly rephrase and make your demand / issue clearer ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Do you want to do the summing in totalmix? Imho the 802 won't add any "warmth".
I am not familiar with ableton, but once tested this approach (but with an UCX) with Cubase, and it was pointless from a sound perspective, as in no one could tell the two pre-masters apart.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Ah now I get it .. RME devices are designed in a way to capture the sound as it is and not to modify or colour it in any way.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,
thank you for the replies.

I got all the channels working now so point 1) is fixed.

About point 2)

Ableton matrix/summing is not the best compared to other DAWs, so other musicians suggested to send the channels into Totalmix (software playback) and then record the final premaster (loopback) on audio file to Ableton without any exporting from the DAW. Basically this on my RME FIREFACE 802 adds more dynamic (especially on kick and bass) and sounds are more "width"(hit hat, snare, synths, modular etc..). Alternatively I could use the hardware inputs of the audio card straight from the analog mixer to record my gears but for now I wanted to test the "digital" version of it and it sounds better.
Somebody told me that RME 802 has high recording quality and a way to achieve ADAT with the optical port.

Do you know if there is another way to get the final recording / input channels from DAWs and get the best quality out of it for a proper premaster session?