Topic: Painting a Babyface Pro FS?

Hey everyone! Pleasure to be here.

The Babyface Pro FS is probably the best desktop audio interface in the market right now. It's perfect for what I do and will help me with my music for a very long time to come. I am really looking forward to get it soon but I just have one issue holding me back...

I am a sucker for coherent visual aesthetic and the Babyface Pro FS would stick out like a sore thumb in my all-black themed home studio.

I want to spray paint the silver metal body of it to matte black and print a laminate cover for the blue metering block. This will be a hefty undertaking however, I want to know if this is safe at all. Blocking out the ports and covering the crevices of the buttons and dial, I am still worried if a spray paint job done by a professional will harm the device by any means.

What would you guys advice? Has anyone done anything like this before? Is it possible for RME to make a custom order Babyface (This is a massive stretch and I really doubt they will care for this)? Is there an online store that can do this for me?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Re: Painting a Babyface Pro FS?

Personally I would try do dismantle the unit, because you'll need to prep the surface to get good adhesion and finish. then either car paint or powder coating.
But, i would suggest not painting it at all, but to get it wrapped like they do with cars and stuff. Safer, easier and maybe even reataining the warranty:)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

3 (edited by Lerian 2020-12-10 16:49:59)

Yeah, wrapping it in matte black would be easier methinks. I would also like RME to switch to black, would be slick!

But painting, if done properly, won't do any harm if you use quality paint. The problem is you would still have the blue glass which would be harder to paint due to the leds.

So glad I don’t care less about the colour.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

So glad I don’t care less about the colour.

While I love the RME look:)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Lerian wrote:

Yeah, wrapping it in matte black would be easier methinks. I would also like RME to switch to black, would be slick!

But painting, if done properly, won't do any harm if you use quality paint. The problem is you would still have the blue glass which would be harder to paint due to the leds.

I was considering that too! How would you go about wrapping it though?

faceless_98 wrote:
Lerian wrote:

I was considering that too! How would you go about wrapping it though?

Well, in an ideal world i would ask RME for the blueprints of the interface and use them on a cutter-plotter to cut a piece of self-adhesive vinyl which then i would put it on top. Its not an easy job though, and you would have to be very precise to make it look good. Also, it would be a matter of balance. You cant just throw colors on it and expect it to look like you imagine it.

To understand what i mean I made 2 simulations with 2 shades of dark grey. One looks better than the other, but you should also consider the visibility of the buttons - there has to be a clear difference to keep it usable.

Also, for the blue part you better hope the paint isnt on the glass itself, otherwise you would have a near impossible job to make it look good and at the same time keep all the writing on it.

Dark grey

https://i.imgur.com/tQBwFXS.jpg

Darker grey

https://i.imgur.com/tvD3EMx.jpg

And this even lighter gray - which looks best to my eyes having proper contrast between the buttons and the case.

https://i.imgur.com/DzgXX1x.jpg

And a comparison

https://i.imgur.com/scUxgB9.jpg

A darker shade of grey?

Now, what does this remind me off? big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

11 (edited by faceless_98 2020-12-27 12:41:32)

Lerian wrote:

And a comparison

Your draft design looks absolutely fantastic. I'd pay anything to get that Babyface Pro.

So what some designer friends suggested is dismantling the Babyface and spray painting it with the grays you have used.

For the blue centerpiece, they suggest printing out an image with photo paper and laminate it with very precise cut outs to be pasted on top of the blue portion.

Seems like a long shot. Not going to stop me from trying though....

faceless_98 wrote:
Lerian wrote:

And a comparison

Your draft design looks absolutely fantastic. I'd pay anything to get that Babyface Pro.

So what some designer friends suggested is dismantling the Babyface and spray painting it with the grays you have used.

For the blue centerpiece, they suggest printing out an image with photo paper and laminate it with very precise cut outs to be pasted on top of the blue portion.

Seems like a long shot. Not going to stop me from trying though....

Thanks, it does indeed look good on grey. Yes, dismantling and using VERY precise cut outs, then laminating the paper. Also the printing must be done on photo quality paper and a professional printer so you can get the quality right.

I think the next version of babyface will be dark grey, and instead of 2 meters it will have a screen and some navigation buttons. At least that would be the next logical step. And hopefully it will include a compressor too for podcasting/vlogging tasks. That would make it a nice beast. Maybe make a thread with feature requests for the next version of BF?

I was considering doing the same. My setup is also fully black so it would be awesome to have the Babyface be the same color. Any progress or outlook on the process? Have you succeeded in painting the unit? If so could you maybe share some insight on the process?

That's pretty sick.  Never even considered making it a different color.

There's a company called lifeguard that does skins for cameras.  Maybe you can pester them to make one for babyface.

15 (edited by Armisael 2021-03-25 22:26:36)

This is very awesome. I have been passionate about pictures for a long time and I also have a professional camera so that I can take as many quality pictures as possible. Lately, I started to turn this hobby into a job and I earn quite a lot of money. I collaborate with this company Canvas Prints many times and I am lucky that I found them because we make a wonderful combination and people really like it, which makes us very happy because this it is our main scope.

Very nice artwork !
My favorit is not listed above.
Can anyone remember the Babyface special edition Ladyface ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

17 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-03-30 04:01:07)

Lerian wrote:

This one looks sick ! How much for a used one? tongue

Darker grey

https://i.imgur.com/tvD3EMx.jpg

Not a bad idea btw. perhaps someone could outline it 1x1 ready for printing, then just print a scetch outlined and trim a piece of sticker wrapper of whatever kind and color you want smile

18 (edited by Araliane 2021-10-18 08:12:02)

Indeed, you can paint your baby face to match the color of your music studio. You are right, the paint particles may spray on the contacts, and the device will not be repairable. I suggest that you paint it by hand. That way, you can more accurately paint what you imagine it to look like. I had a similar problem, I needed to paint my speaker because the old paint had come off it, but I wanted to see some unusual pattern. I didn't know how to paint, so I asked a friend for help. He showed me Painting by Numbers for Adults and told me I could paint my column as well.

19 (edited by waedi 2021-10-14 17:46:19)

https://ibb.co/XV5qK7P
https://ibb.co/9rJt5k1

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You people are mental...aeshetics matter but seems a crazy waste of time and effort to me

Quote: “You people are mental...aeshetics matter but seems a crazy waste of time and effort to me”

With respect, there is no evidence to support the initial  assertion.

Perhaps it could be said that certain individuals appear to inebriated with the exuberance of their own imagination.

The thing is, the original poster stated that any help or input would be appreciated, so perhaps the best way to address this, would be to examine his proposal closely.

People appear to have assumed that the finish on this product is simply a covering that is applied. A form of sprayed paint finish.

However, many products today are fabricated in such a manner, that the final finish is actively formulated as part of the moulding, as its actually being created.

In other words, it is often the case that the finish you see is not a coating per say applied during production, but rather, an essential inherent ingredient of the outer material.

Painting such a product as described above, has formidable and foreseeable difficulties.

Metamorphosing the essential nature of its basic properties.

If it is a coated finish  and you want to respray and recoat such a product achieving excellent luminance of the finish. Then prior to the final coat, you need to get the product as close as possible to the spectrum of colour, you ultimately wish to obtain.

Hence ideally, a light final coat requires a light undercoat. A dark final coat requires a dark undercoat. A bright red final finish requires a red undercoat. Many less vividly extreme members of the colour spectrum can be accommodated by a neutral or grey undercoat.

Here, one is faced with the difficulty of transcending basic physics in paint application, attempting to circumvent widely accepted principles in paint preparation. Transmogrifying the brightest, shiniest, most brilliantly eye-catching colour, to a state closely akin to its exact opposite, in the available palette.

When a manufacturer wants to ascertain the coverage performance of a new paint finish, they place black and white labels on the product they are testing. As these two extremes of shade, are the hardest possible to effectively make invisible to the eye.

Its worth reflecting that almost the most extreme transformation possible is being proposed by the original poster. How wise is that?

Someone has noted that proper preparation of the product is necessary.

As everyone knows, proper paint preparation promotes perfect paint performance.

However, if the innate colour of the product is an essential inherent ingredient of the material.

As is increasingly the case for more and more products, then sanding it down will only reveal more of the same.

It may key the surface as is commonly believed to be beneficial, but many manufacturers have eliminated such processes.

Finding they make no genuine contributory difference in production.

Whatever the product is finished with, (no indication is given), there is no guarantee, (unless someone with a chemistry degree is handy and is given all relevant information), that the solvents in the newly applied paint will not have a severely detrimental effect upon either the metal itself or indeed plastic parts, that will be fitted adjacently.

Although such solvent based reactions can be instant and extreme, hence very alarming, they can and often do gradually appear over a period of time. Those on the forum that know anything about guitar finishes, know that they can severely deteriorate over time, as the finish and its solvent’s gradually gas off. If not properly processed.

You will appreciate that products where a final finish is actively formulated as part of the moulding or where a high temperature oven is utilised to stove the product, allows the solvents to be safely extracted and filtered as part of the production process.

In general, most paint has three main constituents.

A pigmentation, (its colour), a resin or binder (this makes it stick to the product its being applied to and also keeps the other two components properly enjoined) and a solvent (this allows the ideal viscosity to be achieved so the paint flows well, not to thin or thick).

Different solvents used in different finish materials, often react badly to each other, not being chemically designed for use with each other.

I could give a great many practical illustrations where quite brilliant people in the music world, whose productions I admire, have ill-advisedly decided to modify products.

In doing so, it regularly becomes crystal clear that what seemed to be an ingeniously creative idea, has in practice, become an unmitigated disaster from which there is no way to extricate themselves. Then they contact me.

Well-engineered products of the category into which RME products fall, are by design created to accommodate their integral components extremely tightly indeed. Consumers perceive such tactile snugness of fit, as excellent build quality.

Of course, extra layers of paint material have many microns of thickness. If one is attempting to transform a bright shade to a dark shade, its is inevitable that extra, additional layers of material, will be required to provide adequate coverage especially on edges.

At a certain point, the snuggly fitting components won’t fit properly at all.

Then, it will become necessary to remove layers of paint in places.

As any experienced paint sprayer will tell you, paint adhesion is always at its thinnest, at the point where two edges meet. Corners on a product.

Where two edges meet on a sprayed finish and where those snuggly fitting components are located, additional passes on the spray gun are normally required hand spraying to achieve balanced overall coverage.

On a badly engineered product with loosely fitting component’s, one might get away with it. But on a well-engineered product with tightly fitting components, providing excellent build quality, it would seem extremely unlikely.

An expensive disaster zone, rather than an audio interface.

This is before we have even begun to consider the injudicious imbecility of totally invalidating the manufacturers warrantee, (up to five years in certain regions).

With all the potential difficulties involved in reverse engineering the product, taking it completely apart for proper masking and refinishing or leaving vulnerable sensitive components in situ, in risk of contact damage from undesirable, but unavoidable, paint overspray.

The equivalent of shooting oneself in the foot with one barrel and pointing the second barrel towards one’s other foot and pulling the trigger again, for good measure. 

The design features and distinctive colouring of various RME products did not happen by accident.

They are the result of careful thought and design, crafted to ensure particular product lines, aimed at specific consumer types are immediately identifiable.

Primarily, in terms of identifying their manufacturer, and secondly, in terms of the specific product family represented, amongst the wide spectrum of products they fabricate.

In addition, to distinguishing product lines, it is necessary for manufacturers to clearly differentiate their products, from those of their direct competitors and inferior imitators.

Why take a Mercedes and make it look like a Toyota?

As someone with a wide experience of manufacturing processes, I can categorically state that refinishing a product is always far more expensive, far more complicated, and far less desirable than the right first time alternative.

Of course, thus far we have not considered the cost of extremely fine preparation materials, undercoating materials, paint finish materials not the skills, knacks and good judgement and experience required for their proper use.

Last but not least.

Any product that involves a lot of handling, is subject to the oils, acids and friction of fingers.

What this means in practise, is that non industrial finishes, even if appearing to be initially entirely satisfactory.

Are extremely likely in use, to suffer either rapid or gradual deterioration, that is inevitable and inexorable, dependent upon use.

In short, such a finish is unlikely to last, as desired.

How good will your interface look then?

waedi wrote:

Very nice artwork !
My favorit is not listed above.
Can anyone remember the Babyface special edition Ladyface ?

I remember the pink Babyface edition. That wouldn't fly in today's climate.

23 (edited by strumpy_strudel 2023-02-03 19:59:02)

Did anyone ever follow through with painting or creating a skin? A black / dark gray edition would be an instant buy from me as well. I love my Babyface, but it sticks out being the only ray of light in my otherwise dungeon of a room. It's like Richard Simmons at a goth club in here. A "Rainbow in the Dark" if you will...

I did not, but maybe anodizing (https://www.alutecta.de/leistungen/oberflaeche-farbe/granodal_eloxal_grau.html ) could be an option? Don't know how expensive that is for single pieces.

Absolutely, painting your equipment by hand is a wise choice to avoid any potential damage to the contacts. It allows for greater precision and control over the final outcome. I can relate to your situation - when I had to revamp my speaker with a unique pattern, it was quite a challenge too.Thankfully, I came across an online recommendation for a  paint by numbers, which proved to be a game-changer for my speaker project. This could be a valuable resource for your column as well.  It's a fantastic way to bring your artistic vision to life while ensuring a flawless finish. So, go ahead and paint your column with confidence!