1 (edited by Maurafarah 2020-12-08 20:28:58)

Topic: Problems connecting TV to Babyface´s Optical input

Hi all, I have a Babyface (the old model) and I've bought a new tv and connected the optical audio output to babyface´s optical input. The problem its that sometimes I heard weird noises, like interferences...

I also have two speakers connected through XLR, and for example when I listen to music on the computer, music begins to do some weird things, like going faster, noises....

All this disappears when I unplug the optical input....

If I go to Fireface USB settings, I can see in input status that its constantly changing (without playing anything sometimes):

SPDIF opt Sync 192khz
SPDIF opt Sync 64khz

Also the sync-lock options changes...

Also in clock mode, sample rate changes from 192000hz to 64000hz....

Current clock also changes to internal,, spdif opt...

All those changes vary without me changing anything, is it normal?

Is there something wrong, its normal... Sorry im not a big expert in sound, but does it sound weird to anyone?

I don't understand why its constantly changing, and why Im having this problems-weird noises always...

Maybe its something wrong with the soundcard?

Any help would be appreciated, Im becoming crazy!!

Thanks in advance,

Mauri

PS: In case it helps, I´ve uploaded a video, now only were changing the below values...

https://youtu.be/3lUJpzLhQo8

Re: Problems connecting TV to Babyface´s Optical input

If you want to listen to the SPDIF input you need to change the Clock source to that input.

The fact that no stable signal is detected points to a bad optical cable. Please try another one.

Also make sure you have set your TV to always Downmix to PCM for its optical output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias, thanks a lot for the answer, I´ve tried 3 optical cables, from lowest price to the most expensive. Maybe its because its too long? 7,5m.

Is not weird that with the tv switched off I´m getting also no stable signal?

Yes, TV its configured to PCM, with Dolby I was getting a very weird noise.

I dont know exactly what its causing the problem, maybe a hardware problem?

Im thinking in getting the new babyface pro, maybe the problem gets solved?

For example, right now, its connected, and i dont hear anything weird, it comes sometimes only... I´ve read that optical cables have no interferences... So... Maybe the optical input its damaged?

Sorry for so many doubts but its the first problem that I have with this sound card after so many years and I´m trying to get it solved :-)

Thanks in advance,

Mauri

Hi Mauri,

TOSLINK cables may be up to 10m long according to standard and with RME usually 15-16m are possible.
I have such a (15+1 = 16m) setup which works up to 192 kHz.
UFX+ ---- 15m TOSLINK ----- TOSLINK Switcher ---- 1m TOSLINK -------- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ------ HiFi Amp

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses, ok, so its not a problem of lenght then... :-(

I´ve uploaded a sample video... this noise appears randomly....

https://youtu.be/brgCsRY1IVk

Its quite annoying... At the moment I´ve recorded the video, the tv was switched off! :-(

6 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-12-09 19:50:12)

Hello!

Have you tried with the TV unplugged from the power outlet? (not only switched off)

Also, have you set the 'Clock Source' Option to 'Optical In' in the BabyFace Settings, as MC mentioned?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hi! Thanks for the answers :-)

I´ve tried to unplug the power outlet and the sound dissapears...

So its the tv that its sending weird sounds then?

You 're welcome!

I think that the Optical Output of the TV remains powered still, when you have the TV just switched off.
So it 's sending a clock signal to the BF and that creates a sample rate mismatch. And that gives you the weird noises!

With Optical connections, you can have only one Master Device(sending the Clock) and the others set as Slaves(set to be clocked by the Master)

Also, are you on Windows or MacOS?
And which application do you use for music listening?

Hi Metal, thanks for your explanations :-)

For example, If im watching a movie, everything runs smooth... The problem its when tv its switched off and I listen to Spotify for example... Sometimes songs are going 2x speed! Or music stops...

Im on MacOs Big Sur, and I use Spotify....

Babyface its connected directly to my Imac... So I dont understand why if i have optical input connected with the tv also the connection between the computer and BF gets affected!

Sometimes, in totalmix all the bars also get red, and i have to reboot!

Every problem dissapears when I disconnect the optical cable or unplug the tv...

I Know its really weird... Im using first version of babyface... Maybe the new one would solve the problem?

Is your clock source set to internal and the sample rate to 48kHz?
Than it should work.
As on my Sony TV and FF UC.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

As the TV is clock master: no, it should not work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all, today I´ve buyed the new Babyface Pro fs, and at the moment problem its not appearing...

My configuration is set to:

48000Hz, and clock source set to Optical In, its ok like this?

At the moment sample rate its not changing always like before!

Cigame, I have a Sony tv also :-)

Have you noticed any problems?

Ok I understand what´s happening....

Its ok syncronized to 48000hz everytime I have the tv on, the problem its:

If i switch off the tv, I still have good signal, but after 10minutes more or less, the sample rate begins to change from 48000 to 192000hz and that causes the weird sounds...

When i switch on the tv, the problem dissapears and in input status I see sync to 48khz...

I know its a bit weird, but any solution?

I can unplug the optical cable everytime, but its there a way that if babyface detects that the tv is switched off then he doesnt play anything?

Cigame, when your tv its idle for half an hour or more are you noticing anything?

Thanks in advance!

Mauri

Hello, Mauri!

This happens because when you switch off the TV, the clock signal is still present as I mentioned and at the same time, Spotify or other applications that you are using, are trying to set the Sample Rate.

That is why the clock changes constantly from 48kHz to 192kHz.

I don't know how things work on a Mac, because I 've always used Windows, so I can't guide you to any setting for you to fix that..

BUT, I can offer a workaround!
You can be setting the Clock Source to 'Optical' when you 're watching TV, or to 'Internal' for any other task on your Mac!

Hi Metal, thanks for the answer :-)

At the moment, I´ve tried to set sample rate to 48000hz and clock source to internal, and no weird sounds!

I will be testing this configuration during some hours/days and post here the results, I hope that everything runs smooth till then! :-)