1 (edited by ecce_cello 2016-04-10 10:57:13)

Topic: Show all UCX outputs in apps

Hallo!

My Fireface UCX shows in all apps 18 inputs, but only 2 outs.

A lot of apps allow to choose the output channel, specially AUM Audio Mixer app, which I wanted to use to mix all my outs and control them via MIDI (at Totalmix app doesn't allow midi) in live gigs.

But all apps only show out 1&2, what happened with the other 16 outs?? Why I can't have them available??

I contacted developers, and they say I should enable multiple outs in class compliant mode, or talk to you, as their apps work fine with other sound cards.

Are RME sound cards allowing to use all out to the apps? Is it a problem of mine??

Thanks a lot.

www.eccecello.com

Re: Show all UCX outputs in apps

YEAH! Thanks MC, after another 40 minutes of search, I found this, which fixes it and shows all available outs in all apps:

In TotalMix FX App: Options -> RME Interface Settings -> I/O Options: Output Channel Count req. -> Multichannel

www.eccecello.com

...Well, my problem now is  iPhone... I set in Totalmix -> Multichannel. In my iPad the apps then show 18 outs, but even if I store this state in memory (1 to 6), and I recall it when I plug it into my iPhonne, the iPhone app's only recognize 2 outs.

Can't this state be recalled/stored by the Fireface?, so iphones also can use the multiple out?

Thanks

www.eccecello.com

ecce_cello wrote:

...Well, my problem now is  iPhone... I set in Totalmix -> Multichannel.

As I already mentioned here, iPhones/Ipods only support Stereo out of RME Interfaces, because there isn't a TotalMix FX for iPhone App that could activate "Multichannel option".

iPhones support as many channels as the iPad. You just need an app that uses them. Be it a DJ ap (4 channels) or Multitrack DAW (8 channels up), it works on the iPhone as well.

@ ecce_cello: iOS initalizes the whole state as soon as the interface is unplugged. Also that state is not part of the interface, but a state of CoreAudio in iOS. There is no way we could 'store' it in hardware so you get it on the iPhone as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

iPhones support as many channels as the iPad. You just need an app that uses them. Be it a DJ ap (4 channels) or Multitrack DAW (8 channels up), it works on the iPhone as well.

Would you be so kind to explain how to route individual UCX Multitrack-Outputs (not Inputs!) with iPhone version of Multitrack DAW? I don't see any way – meanwhile over years yikes

Thanks for your answer MC, but an app like AUM Audio Mixer, which is made to take advantage of all routing possibilities of idevices and audiocards, can't show any output options but L&R, the same ipad apps don't show all available outs, until you adjust the set up

TotalMix FX App: Options -> RME Interface Settings -> I/O Options: Output Channel Count req. -> Multichannel

But that can't be done in iphones/ipodtouch

Now we got very big iPhones, it would be nice to have TotalMix in iphone.

www.eccecello.com

loonypac wrote:
MC wrote:

Would you be so kind to explain how to route individual UCX Multitrack-Outputs (not Inputs!) with iPhone version of Multitrack DAW? I don't see any way – meanwhile over years yikes

Obviously my statement was about input as DAW MT has only stereo out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ecce_cello wrote:

Thanks for your answer MC, but an app like AUM Audio Mixer, which is made to take advantage of all routing possibilities of idevices and audiocards, can't show any output options but L&R, the same ipad apps don't show all available outs, until you adjust the set up

TotalMix FX App: Options -> RME Interface Settings -> I/O Options: Output Channel Count req. -> Multichannel

But that can't be done in iphones/ipodtouch

Now we got very big iPhones, it would be nice to have TotalMix in iphone.

RME is not responsible for the programming capabilities of other companies. Please complain at those companies to fully support Core Audio (which most probably will be wasted time as nothing will happen). Also please note that the Multi-Channel option in TM FX is a workaround for those missing capabilities, and not indicating any lack of functionality or error in RME products (this is also explained in the online help of TM FX for iPad).

That said we provide full support for the iPad. If the apps that you use don't work as wished on an iPhone - then please use an iPad. We have no plans (nor time) to work on an iPhones TM FX in the forseeable future, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, no time for iphone, I accept it.

But I am having problems to set up this

Sometimes when I select -> Multichannel

In the closer setting it says: "Channels running (IN/OUT)  18/2"

I also spoke to a couple of developers, and they say their apps work ok with multichannel OUTS with all other soundcards (with just one exception, that has a workaround).

After a 10 minutes random actions, sometimes I get my Fireface to say "Channels running (IN/OUT)  18/18", I don't know what I am doing wrong, I supposed when you select -> Multichannel, it should instantly change to 18/18, shouldn't it? What am I doing wrong?? No app detect now the 18 outs of my Firefox.

What action I have to take to make it have "18/18"?

Thanks for your support.

David

www.eccecello.com

Hallo again, the only workaround I found to make Totalmix to show 18 outs again, is to reboot totally the ipad, then 18 outs are available again, but randomly, sometimes it changes again from 18 to 2 outs... this is scary over a stage, any cues on what's going on?

Thanks a lot.

www.eccecello.com

To change Core Audio to multichannel mode you need to enable background mode in TM FX Interface Settings, and to make sure that no other audio app is currently running (that should be as obvious as logical. There will be no format change as long as another app is doing record or playback). So do this before you do anything else, then it will work and always show and stay at 18 channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC, but it seems to be a problem known as "Inter-App Audio Zombie Bug", the apps, even if you close them, remain in the background. That's why the only way to actually do what you explain, is to reboot the device or use this trick, explained by Kymatica:

...the Clear RAM Trick to clear all processes, including any invisible IAA zombies: Hold power button until "slide to power off", then release it. Then hold Home button until the home screen shows up. All processes are now cleared!

Unless you do that first, music app keep in the background and don't allow to change the Multichannel settings.

www.eccecello.com

Using AUM, Quantiloop and TotalMIX apps on iPad Pro 2018.

I have the same issue with this bad IAA zombie bug. And can't find any real solution for this issue.

Babyface Pro FS, Fireface UCX
MacBook Air M1 / iPad Pro 12,9" M2 2023 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Okay, it works for me now: *without* using this TotalMix iPad app. It's just in clinch with Quantiloop it seems, so I deleted the app. I do now all the routings in AUM and that's okay. Not the cleanest solution but okay.

Babyface Pro FS, Fireface UCX
MacBook Air M1 / iPad Pro 12,9" M2 2023 / iPhone 15 Pro Max