Topic: Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 CABLE

Has anyone had success finding a TB 3 to TB 2 cable.

Hoping to not use an adapter, but a true 4 to 6' cable.  The adapter is just adding a failure point. New Macs have limited USB ports.

Re: Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 CABLE

I’d love to be proven wrong but to my knowledge (after much searching), this cable doesn’t exist.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cables/tbt3tbtadap ?

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

That’s an adaptor, not a cable.

It should be obvious that such a 'cable' is technical not possible. It needs active electronics inside to convert TB3 to TB2 - hence adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don’t know about that, MC. There are various cables around today that feature electronics in the connectors and with continued miniaturisation, there’s no reason why a cable (although technically an “adaptor”) couldn’t be developed. Even the Apple Thunderbolt adaptors are quite small (especially compared to the Startech adaptor linked to above) and I can envisage those becoming self-contained cables, albeit with slightly enlarged connectors.

I’ve used a TB2->Firewire adaptor on an MBPro for years without any problems at all due to the adaptors. My current setup is an August 2020 27” i9 iMac using TB3->TB2->Firewire adaptor chain and is also problem free.

If concerned about adaptors becoming disconnected wrapping them with a bit of (genuine) cloth gaffa tape should be enough to prevent that from happening.